1985-Genesis-2-Rehab@Josh's-Correctional-Facility

That is a great find, and it’s in good shape!
It looks like it still has its original parts too.
I restored (well, maybe restomodded) a couple of first generation Genesis grills myself a few years ago. One of them had the same swing up table as yours. You don’t see those swing up tables often, yours is the second one I’ve seen

I did both the deck and grill slats in Ipe. I will share some current pics later when the sun is out.
If you haven’t seen my restoration thread, it’s here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/restoration-projects-1992-genesis-1-and-late-80s-genesis-2.76238/

Gerry
Thank you very much for sharing this! I do remember seeing a little bit of it when I first came here while trying to search through older threads but there's a lot I missed. I've only been here for 4 months sharing my work and learning from others.

That old-style fuel level decal is one that I sell if you decide to redo the bracket and need a replacement. I like those brackets, too. It was an early victim to simplification and cost savings - possibly also to make it easier to have a right side swing table.
I think I have at least two or three of them in my stash from you but I won't be surprised if I need more at some point. Thank you Jon!
Screenshot_20241013_074743_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much for sharing this! I do remember seeing a little bit of it when I first came here while trying to search through older threads but there's a lot I missed. I've only been here for 4 months sharing my work and learning from others.
You’re welcome!
As promised, here are some pictures.
The deck was pressure washed at springtime this year. Installed in 2007.
The grills were done in 2019 and were left outside uncovered, but under the roof of the deck the whole time all year.

At work I had a lot of stainless steel available, so I have a plate that covers one of the wooden side tables. I use it to put the bbq tools on while cooking. I recently put those tool hooks on the grills and now I get those grease stains from grease dripping off the tools when I hang them, so I’m back to laying them down on the steel.
I have converted both to nat gas in the meantime.
I will probably refinish the wood over the winter, and maybe freshen up the paint too

GerryIMG_2896.jpegIMG_2895.jpegIMG_2894.jpeg

Thank you for sharing pics I appreciate it!

What if you get one of those Weber kettle mats to put under your grill to catch the grease drips from your utensils? I think I'm going to get one to protect my pavers from Grease trips.

I do like the stainless steel plate that you use over your wood table to protect it. I recently got high heat silicone mats off Amazon that fit perfectly but it's just a cheaper version of your idea.
Screenshot_20241013_082351_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20241013_082346_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20241013_082339_Photos.jpg

You need to start thinking about repurposing some SS doors/panels that come off of scrapper grills.....
The doors you gave a while back I'm planning on cutting to make a 'Slo n Sear' for the kettle - but now I'm thinking about using them as 'trays'. Pretty cheap and still 'classy'!

I was looking at those mats for the side tables. They were out of stock.

The stainless works well though.
Before I had that stainless, I just put the utensils on the side burner which has a stainless lid. That was before the deck was built and the grill was down in the grass.

The mice found their way in and made a nice nest inside the side burner…

I was looking at those mats for the side tables. They were out of stock.

The stainless works well though.
Before I had that stainless, I just put the utensils on the side burner which has a stainless lid. That was before the deck was built and the grill was down in the grass.

The mice found their way in and made a nice nest inside the side burner…
That side burner is quite rare!

You need to start thinking about repurposing some SS doors/panels that come off of scrapper grills.....
The doors you gave a while back I'm planning on cutting to make a 'Slo n Sear' for the kettle - but now I'm thinking about using them as 'trays'. Pretty cheap and still 'classy'!
I really like my silicone high heat mats that I can also use as pot holders and for setting hot things on inside the house.
The stainless from those doors should work great for you though also!

Josh,

These slats from my Genesis XX were original cedar that I sanded, lightly stained and coated with spar urethane. I was very happy with them, but they have that warm patina look that @Steve Hoch discussed.

IMG_3821.jpeg

IMG_3889.jpeg

I can see going either way - and might have gone the new route - but for that particular find I hope you can save the original wood.

Josh,

These slats from my Genesis XX were original cedar that I sanded, lightly stained and coated with spar urethane. I was very happy with them, but they have that warm patina look that @Steve Hoch discussed.

View attachment 101751

View attachment 101750

I can see going either way - and might have gone the new route - but for that particular find I hope you can save the original wood.
That looks beautiful to me!👌🏼

Josh,

View attachment 101751

View attachment 101750

Those look great Jon and I tend to agree.

Cleaned up grease tray and pan today and as I suspected the tray is shot. As pictured on the right. I also cleaned up the tray and pan from my Genesis 3 which is on the left and perfect. Only thing is even though they are from the same generation the earlier ones came with the different style drip pan assembly. If I can live with that then I'm good if not then I'll have to ask Cody if he was serious. I'm leaning towards it being okay with the different style from the same generation trip pan assembly.

20241013_165559~2.jpg20241013_171739~2.jpg20241013_171658~2.jpg
I want to stay as original as possible but I'm thinking this pan and Tray from the same generation is going to be okay.

Back