$125 fair price for 18”?

The smoker looks rougher than it did it the picture they sent but hoping I can clean up and maybe get some new grommets and a gasket

This is for cleaning a kettle, same methods can be used on wsm

You did great. Cleaning it to the point you can use it will be easy. Grates can be replaced and you might even find a good upgrade from stock. ATC is a win for sure. Door is an easy fix.. start with bending it into shape. Gasket or replace if needed.

Have fun!!

It looks well used. I’m going to have to probably buy new grates and the little rubber grommet on the side. I might end up needing to get either a gasket set or a new door because it is obvious that the smoke poured out of the door because above the door looks blue and burnt. The grates definitely look like they’ve seen their days. The grommet is rotted. Let the cleanup and learning begin!
Looks like a good haul. I bought my first 18 for $80, with a cover only used once. The last one I bought was $125, more use and no extras. Sold both once I got the 14. Wasn't doing large group cooks anymore so the 18 was overkill. Sold both of the for $150 ea.

If you have an Ace Hardware near you they carry all (at least mine do) of the replacement grates. Or you can get ship to store.

The silicone grommet can be purchased here:

You can also get replacement grates 2 ereplacements too.

Before you get gaskets try to tweak the door and then run it, shut it down, close it up. After it cools down if the you have unburned coals left then it's good to go. If cool down takes a long time and only ash is left then you're leaking too much air.

I don't use gaskets, don't need them.
But if I did.... Id make my own in-place using red high temp silicone for perfect fit.
and... Id put little dabs in those holes in the bottom corners with the door so they dont leak

I don't use gaskets, don't need them.
But if I did.... Id make my own in-place using red high temp silicone for perfect fit.
and... Id put little dabs in those holes in the bottom corners with the door so they dont leak
I am trying to visualize this...

It is really easy to get all caught up with “accessorizing”! The WSM is such a well designed unit you don’t need a lot of “stuff” complicating the first projects. Besides, you are not dealing with meat, for vegetables you won’t need to gasket the thing there is no such added worry of getting things to a finished “cooked temperature with vegetables. Most folks here are carnivores (omnivores really) and meat is what the WSM is made to cook, the vegetables that come out of you new toy will be great. Do not overthink it, that’s easy to do!
Enjoy the experience.

It is really easy to get all caught up with “accessorizing”! The WSM is such a well designed unit you don’t need a lot of “stuff” complicating the first projects. Besides, you are not dealing with meat, for vegetables you won’t need to gasket the thing there is no such added worry of getting things to a finished “cooked temperature with vegetables. Most folks here are carnivores (omnivores really) and meat is what the WSM is made to cook, the vegetables that come out of you new toy will be great. Do not overthink it, that’s easy to do!
Enjoy the experience.
I would agree with this and learn the WSM the way it was built. Once you get some cooks under your belt you will develop a feel for it and then you can try other things if you want. These folks helped me learn my 18.5 over 10 years ago. Use us, and especially Chris’s Virtual Bullet site, and you will breeze through the “first WSM jitters “. Have fun!

Before you get gaskets try to tweak the door and then run it, shut it down, close it up. After it cools down if the you have unburned coals left then it's good to go. If cool down takes a long time and only ash is left then you're leaking too much air.

I was having issue with leaks.. After a cook, all vents closed, I would end up with nothing but ash. I let some grease from a few cooks build up, but it didn't help. I tried to tweak the door but it didn't help. Just did the gasket around the lid and the door and after locking everything down after yesterdays cook the coals (FOGO lump coal.. HUGE lump coal) were out in a matter of minutes. Every bullet is going to be different but in my case the gaskets [appear to] have a made a huge improvement

Back