“... the old St Louie way...”

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
The following link is probably my most favorite post of all time on this TVWBB site:
https://tvwbb.com/threads/traditional-st-louis-pork-steaks.35175/#post-351537
...and that’s what this here and now post is all about.
In his own words:

I like to go low and slow with smokewood added, but decided to do these the old St Louie way.
The steaks go on directly over the coals, with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

ps1.jpg

You open the hood, flip 'em, close the hood.
Take a few sips of beer, and repeat.
(this is impressive to guests, it looks like you're some kind of grill Pro or something)
ps2.jpg

Now, when they're about done, you or one of your buddies starts talking sports.
"Hey, how 'bout that (Brewer) game last night!"
This send the gals inside to work on the side dishes.
ps3.jpg

With the ladies out of sight, the meat goes into a bbq sauce bath, with beer added, if your bottle isn't empty.
You cover them with foil, and join your buddies around the beer cooler.
ps4.jpg

You then cook whatever else needs cooking.
tatersandramps.jpg

One other tip, keep the tongs in your non-beer hand at all times!
When your wife comes out to see when the meat will be ready, you snap them at her and say: "Not too much longer Honey"

It's also a nice touch to tie a bandana around your head before you take in the food, it helps give sympathy for the poor hot GrillMaster.

But, it was just (Liz) and I last night, and she knows very well how the game is played.
ps5.jpg

ps6.jpg

Bottom line, the steaks are cooked fairly hot and fast, then tenderized in the sauce for however long the beer supply lasts.

Thanks for (reminiscing this awesome part of TVWBB BBQ history with me AND Bob, The Pork Steak Master)!

And Thank You Bob Correll!

That's what I like to see. Someone bringing back worthwhile older threads that a lot of newcomers might never see otherwise. I know some get pinned at the beginning of a thread but a lot of good ones haven't. That would be a full time job. lol

I bought some new bbq sauce to try today, now I know exactly how I'm going to use it! Thanks for sharing the post and inspiration.

I love pork steak and yours looks top of the grill! As always, of course! Just used the last of the bacon, topped a pizza with some! Thanks again!

Bob's post was before we joined this great forum, but I'm glad you brought it back to life. Both you and Bob have been an inspiration to Barb and I and I'm sure many others.
From making bacon to high heat ribs we are doing cooks that I never would have dreamed of.
Tongs in the left hand, beer in the right the St. Louie way, will be giving that a try.

Bob and i joined this joint about the same time and basically became on-line friends until the day he and his wonderful wife Joanne drove to Raymond Wisconsin on their way to their Door County vacation. They liked us enough to stay for dinner that evening. Perhaps they also were hungry...
Anyway, over the years, Bob has taught me a smokerfull of stuff and has always been an inspiration to me.

Thank you all for your kind comments!

MeAndBobCorrell2013.png

Those are some nice looking pork steaks, i could go for one of those and a nice ice cold foster lager!

I'm going to try that covering them with sauce and foiling them up, the results speak for themselves

Good picture of you & Bob

Back