Tacos Al Pastor for Cinco De Mayo

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Actually, these were cooked last night. However, there are LOTS of leftovers so we'll be having some for lunch.
Haven't made these in a while & Cinco De Mayo was/is a good reason.

The basic recipe is here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/05/tacos-al-pastor-recipe.html I used 3# of pork butt & sliced it real thin. Also some bacon. Marinated both for 24 hours in the fridge.

Built the trompo (lots of pineapple slices hidden in it).

PICT4887_zpsfxmxqspr.jpg

Used the vertical rotisserie for this cook. Mesquite splits for fire.

PICT4889_zpsvpyvwwvq.jpg

Let it run for 2 1/2 hours or so. Added splits every 25 - 20 minutes.

Cooks with the doors closed.

PICT4893_zpsbsm0ddoq.jpg

Mmmmmmm....

PICT4898_zpsri7so3qm.jpg

PICT4900_zpstfyw3e6t.jpg

PICT4902_zpsdpkdwdks.jpg

Time To Eat!!!

PICT4911_zpssf8zpw5z.jpg

"... it was fiesta, a short time ago... North of the border in Escondido... Ay-ay-ay-ay, (Ay-ay-ay-ay,) ay-ay-ay-ay (Ay-ay-ay-ay)..."

Last edited:
That looks absolutely fantastic! <wonders where he can hide vertical rotisserie from wife> ;)

R

Thanks everyone. These were a bit better than the last batch (which was good). I almost doubled the ancho, negro & guajillo chilies in the mix. Used more chipotles, too.
& using thin sliced pork butt was better vs blade end-loin or sirloin pork roast. Next time, I think I can eliminate the bacon - there's enough fat in the pork butt.
Also ran the pit a bit hotter.

Robert that is the way to go. I am drooling over your equipment. This is my favorite flavor of meat. Really cool.

Robert that looks outrageous. I've been kind of obsessing lately over wanting to do Al Pastor. Love the vertical rotisserie.

That's simply amazing Robert. Where do you store your toys and what's the combo on the lock? :)

Back