Be careful when uncovering your grill

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Be careful when you whip the cover off your grill. You never know what may be lurking inside. Tonight I found a big black widow spider hanging off the side of my kettle! YIKES! :eek:

Hey Chris: pics or it didn't happen! :rolleyes:
I was trying to get the spider to hop onto a long handled brush to relocate into the bushes. I was so engaged in that effort that I didn't get a photo. Didn't get the spider onto the brush, either. Not sure if it dropped down inside the grill or down into the open backside of the wheel.

Did I mention I found mouse droppings on my gas grill recently? I've got a photo of that...this is the condiment rack that hangs off the front of the Weber Summit 450:

IMG_5103_zpskhzxyaba.jpg

Set a trap and caught that little sucker. He flailed around in the condiment rack for a while before I pulled him out and put him out of his misery.

It's gross having a mouse in your grill. Just not right! :mad:

So, you kill a mouse and relocate the Black Widow?

Dude, you need to take a serious look at your priorities!

I've had everything from spiders, mice, bees, snakes in my grills over the years. Now that I have a herd of grills and I keep them all covered mostly because their out in the elements except the two on the patio and the sun beats them to death so they are covered also. I also don't use my grills as much as some of the members. So I set up a routine every two weeks I take all the covers off and inspect for homeless critters setting up residence in my grills. Haven't found much so far but I don't want any surprise ether.

"That's what you get using the gas assist Performer... waiting for my grate to melt...."

Bought it used in '09, and many a fire has been put through her since then.
Still solid, just a little warped, like me and someone else I know. :p

Oh Boy! Here we go again! From uncovering your grill to identifying mouse and spider turds, only here will you see that:p

I think the spider did crap on my kettle. There were little white dots in several spots around the rim of the lid. But for some reason I had more respect for the spider and less for the mouse. I think of the mouse as being dirty and disease-ridden, and it climbed up under the cover of my grill TWICE and brought nuts up in there to eat and then CRAPPED all over the work surfaces and condiment holders, which caused me a lot of cleaning. On the other hand, the black widow was killing other spiders and wrapping them up into neat little packages among it's disorganized web...and then there were the little white dots of poop or whatever.

I just want nature to leave my grills alone. :)

Chris,
Those little white dots are probably it's eggs it left. Here is what we do to them. Light a kitchen match and burn them. My wife hates spiders. They don't stand a chance around here.

Back