Your favorite Steak cut

No-brainer for me.....Boneless ribeye rubbed with rosemary-infused olive oil and dusted with kosher salt and cracked pepper. Grill it 'til med-rare.

Personally, the best I've found come from the Costco butcher and only cost $8.99/lb. I'm sure there are better, but not for the price.

Love a ribeye and a ny strip but I must admit I tried the Alton Brown method of cooking skirt steak directly on lump charcoal this week and that's pretty hard to beat!

To me the flavor and lower price of chuck steak more than make up for it being slightly tougher than some of its fancier and more expensive brothers.

To me the flavor and lower price of chuck steak more than make up for it being slightly tougher than some of its fancier and more expensive brothers.

Do you mean Chuck-Eye steak? I've seen Jim Lampe say that's his favorite a time or two, he probably has a few favorites :) ....I haven't tried it yet but will when I see it.

....tri tip....

That's an interesting choice, and one of my favorites too.

But if I have to choose, I'd go with Porterhouse - I have yet to have a bad one..... always super tender. T bones have been hit or miss, but PH, even cheap ones, have never let me down. The prime NY strips @ my local Costco are pretty darn good too....ribeye's always a good choice, but I tend to throw them back on the grill to more of a medium / medium-well to get it tender enough/melt the fat.....not complaining at all, just my experience in probably 2009... I'll have to give ribeyes another chance, maybe dry age a bit.

Now I want ribs and steak.

For an actual steak for me it is the Porterhouse, phenomenal flavor with two cuts of meat that are superb.
When I want a really special cut of meat it is the Tenderloin, nothing better than steak that melts in your mouth.

Do you mean Chuck-Eye steak? I've seen Jim Lampe say that's his favorite a time or two, he probably has a few favorites :) ....I haven't tried it yet but will when I see it.
Not specifically but since it's cut from the chuck it counts. When I buy a split beef half I have the chuck roast(s) cut into steaks about 1" to 1-1/4" thick and I grill them like I would a ribeye, strip, or any other steak. One thing I've noticed is that while I prefer others rare a chuck steak is just as good when it's medium-rare.

If I'm going all in, a bone in ribeye is the choice. For a cheaper cut, tri-tip or chuck eye gets the nod (thanks to Jim Lampe for turning me on to chuck eye steaks!)

1 - NY strip steak, cut 2+ inches thick from the whole NY strip.
2 - tri-tip ( morton's of chicago, marinated, etc. from costco, when they bother to have them)
3 - english roast, cut 2+ inches thick.

Ribeye is the best but obviously not the healthiest which is typically the case since fat taste great. As far as value for the money sirloin which has great flavor but you can't cook over medium rare or it starts to b\get tough. I serious don't know what the thing is about tenderloin, yes it's tender even if over cooked but no flavor. My 2 cents.

Back