You know you're getting old when...

My cancer drug can cost as much as $13K for a 30 day supply. Thankfully it's been covered by insurance, so far.
Also thankfully, it's still keeping progression at bay after 1.5 years.
Until the insurance companies think you're not worth it. Sadly it's what we're coming to. My cousin is going through this very thing.

My cancer drug can cost as much as $13K for a 30 day supply. Thankfully it's been covered by insurance, so far.
Also thankfully, it's still keeping progression at bay after 1.5 years.
My g/f's MS injectable is up there, maybe a little more these days. <knocks wood> She's been in remission for nearly 15 years now. Here's hoping for your continued health, @Bob Correll .

There are no easy answers to pharmaceutical pricing, save that I personally think that Martin Shkreli, aka "Pharma Bro" is utterly bereft of humanity. New compounds are stupid expensive to find, analyze, patents, test, trials of all sorts, regulatory hurdles and finally manufacturing. You simply cannot look at manufacturing costs, the entire life cycle has to be taken into account. I won't disagree that the pharmaceutical industry does abuse patents. The pharmaceutical companies are bound hand & foot by institutional investors (hint: if you have a pension, 401(k), or some other retirement fund, you probably are indirectly in this class,) to continually show increasing profits quarter after quarter, ignoring the fact that it's really an unsustainable business model (look back at short term gains.) They all want the next Lipitor, and aren't interested in compounds that won't deliver billions to the bottom line profits.

I was prescribed a corticosteroid inhaler a number of years ago. Not anything that'd break the bank, but enough to take a bite out of our travel and entertainment budget. I found that ordering from a Canadian pharmacy saved me ~80% and included shipping. This is the same brand inhaler. It actually shipped from Turkey to Germany and then here. I have a friend that goes right across the border into Mexico and buys his rescue inhalers, over the counter, for $10 each without a prescription. I pay more than that for the same brand, after my part D pays their share. We're getting screwed here. There's no doubt about it.

Yep back in the day (60's) one of our friends actually had portable timing lights, we had a 1/4 mile marked on one of the streets out by the Glenview Naval Air Station (no longer there). It was Lehigh Rd (what would have been the far northern end of Harlem Ave). Back in the day Lehigh dead ended at Willow. We burned up a lot of tires there :D Because it was not trafficked in the evening the cops pretty much looked the other way. People had "uncorked" headers, some cars actually had to be trailered there LOL.

Back