You Just Never Know

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I’ve been married to my wonderful wife, Barb for 38 years. You would think by now I would know everything there is to know about her…Nope!
It’s been miserably hot the last couple of weeks, today it’s 107 and climbing. So we have been cooking outside to help keep the house as cool as possible. But standing outside for anything that takes time to cook sucks.
So we are keeping it super simple.
I asked Barb before she went to work what she would like me to make for dinner. She said "how about hot dogs”. Well I mentioned we had just had hot dogs last week and I try not to overdo them because they are salt bombs.
And she says “I love hot dogs” After 38 years I didn’t have a clue she liked hot dogs that much.
So hot dogs it was. We’ve made three types of chili dogs, Chicago dogs, Taco dogs, Detroit Style Coney dogs, Sonoran hot dogs, and last night it was Mexican Style Dogs, if there is such a thing.
With all the different types of dogs we have made you would think that I would have figured out she really likes hot dogs…Nope!
The Mexican dogs were really good with a mixture of avocado, lime juice, tomato, red onion and crumbled bacon. Served with home fries, all cooked on the E320.

Stay Cool & Stay Safe

100_6208.JPG

That's a beautiful-looking dinner shot! Life is funny, in little ways, as your story illustrates. But maybe her taste buds have evolved, some, and you knew more about her than you're suggesting here. Shelley and I had a similar experience this week concerning dinner.

You be safe as well!

That's a beautiful-looking dinner shot! Life is funny, in little ways, as your story illustrates. But maybe her taste buds have evolved, some, and you knew more about her than you're suggesting here. Shelley and I had a similar experience this week concerning dinner.

You be safe as well!
Right back at you!!!

Not to take the thread over, but about three weeks ago my wife of 12 years informed me that she does NOT like meat sauce in any pasta dish at all. She is Italian; her family is from Naples.

But for years, I've been making decent pasta bolognese. So when I asked her what was wrong with the sauce the other night, she replied, "Nothing. I just don't like meat in my sauces." I answered, "Huh? What? I thought you liked it!" Her answer was, "No, that was every other girl you were ever with." My thinking was, why didn't you ever tell me this? Her answer was, "I have. Numerous times."

I promptly ate crow. Which is likely what's for dinner tonight.

Growing up my mom was very strict with food types. No pop, no preservatives, no salt, you name it.
Decades go by.
Found out her favorite food is hot dogs.
I feel your pain. Real nice selection of trimmings.

Thank you all for the kind words. Barb is a remarkable lady and we share almost all of our interests from trap shooting to cooking.
When I was flipping grills she always was out in the garage helping me from using the angle grinder to clean out fireboxes to polishing hoods. She isn't afraid to try anything.
But from now on if Barb says she want's hot dogs Barb gets hot dogs.

Rich, just wait.....there will come a time that you serve her a hot dog, she'll look at you funny, and say, "I hate hot dogs!" ;)

(I'm kidding, Barb, I'm kidding!!!) :)

I'm 15 anniversaries behind you, and I know I haven't learned everything about my beautiful bride, either! :)

R

PS: The dogs look great! Nice way to dress up a "standard" tube steak!

Not to take the thread over, but about three weeks ago my wife of 12 years informed me that she does NOT like meat sauce in any pasta dish at all. She is Italian; her family is from Naples.

But for years, I've been making decent pasta bolognese. So when I asked her what was wrong with the sauce the other night, she replied, "Nothing. I just don't like meat in my sauces." I answered, "Huh? What? I thought you liked it!" Her answer was, "No, that was every other girl you were ever with." My thinking was, why didn't you ever tell me this? Her answer was, "I have. Numerous times."

I promptly ate crow. Which is likely what's for dinner tonight.
Crow bolognese?

Looks good! We've been having quite a few hot dogs lately when camping. Made some really tasty chili dogs. Just crappy canned chili but they were good.

If youre a dog fan, you must try Snake River Farms 100% Wagyu franks. Ive been eating dogs for 59 years, and these are by far the most flavorville and justest of all. Theyre a little pricey, but worth it IMHO.

Back