You can call me Josh Dekubber!

Okay Jon so I started by ordering a couple of these Weber temp gauges with bezels. Most of them are sold without bezel and I think the bezel is for the 3200. You would know? View attachment 102238
I thought the bezel would go all the way back to the lid but that wasn't the case. The back of the bezel sticks out so I cut the back of the bezel off and that still wasn't quite enough so I cut a piece of metal wire and formed it to fit inside of what was left of the bezel to push a little bit of distance between the thermometer and the bezel. This pushed the bezel tight against the lid. I think it turned out looking as good as factory which is what I was hoping to achieve.
View attachment 102239View attachment 102240View attachment 102241View attachment 102242
Thanks so much, Josh! I did make the same hole in my unfinished CharQ. I didn’t have the nerve to cut off the back of the bezel like you did, though I did see that issue and admire how well you resolved it. Not sure if I will risk it or just be content with it “as is.”

I painted my bezel black. Sorry for lousy picture. I had to enlarge what I could find and am not at home for a week.

IMG_6385.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Josh! I did make the same hole in my unfinished CharQ. I didn’t have the nerve to cut off the back of the bezel like you did, though I did see that issue and admire how well you resolved it. Not sure if I will risk it or just be content with it “as is.”

I painted my bezel black. Sorry for lousy picture. I had to enlarge what I could find and am not at home for a week.

View attachment 102245
That looks great to me Jon! Also what a great idea of painting the bezel to match the lid. I didn't think of that but I might use that on my next one if I repaint red or black! 👌🏼🙃

Got a feeling you may not want to let that one go. You may find yourself enjoying it too much. There is even a nice rotisserie kit made for it
Well now that I have the baby 1000 all finished and started working on a 2000 I've decided that I'm going to finish all three sizes and present them to my sister-in-law to decide which one she wants. With fourth option of waiting for me to find her a nice full size 2 burner. Something like my Genesis LX 240.

For her small upper deck area I'm thinking she's going to want something on the smaller side. Smart thing to do is what @Bruce did with a supported platform on the outside of the railing of the deck taking up zero space on the actual deck itself. I'll present that idea to her also.

Oh and something else to keep in mind. Her husband has a Green mountain smoker that they use regularly. She just wants something small quick and easy that she can use herself and right outside on the small upper Deck area. Not down in the yard where smoker is.

Last edited:
Oh and something else to keep in mind. Her husband has a Green mountain smoker that they use regularly. She just wants something small quick and easy that she can use herself and right outside on the small upper Deck area. Not down in the yard where smoker is.

Josh, I have a feeling that Green Mountain Smoker is going to get a bit jealous. That Q is going to get a lot of use.

IDK, I've not touched my Q since August. It's actually off the deck and not even hooked up. I've been using the Wolf for when I want/need a gas cook (which is not very much) and Big Z for 95% of the cooking

Larry, what about the MM-does that see any use?
I'm not sure of the question? I'll try to answer in the context of the statement. Lately (hopefully it continues) we've had a stretch of some gorgeous weather for this time of year. Big Z has the WIFI/Bluetooth control. And more times than not I find myself relying on that ability in addition to my Chef IQ probes. So while yes I can use the Chef IQ probes in the MM it does not have WIFI control. So, Big Z gets pressed into service more than any other grill I own. The MM does a drop dead fantastic job and (other than aforementioned function) and it's physical dimensions is every bit as capable as Big Z. My search is still on for a suitable WIFI controller for the MM though. And when one is found the usage pattern may get reversed with Big Z not getting the bulk of the use and saved for the large cooks like a brisket, or other large roasts where it's sliding top shelf and larger lid opening is advantageous and makes large hunks of meat easier to handle.
But my lack of use of the MM has nothing to do with it's "quality" or performance. On the contrary it's a truly top notch product and performer

Back