WSK & Vortex is a match made in cooking excellence

I am a color guy, as color means flavor and crisp skin. And yours is really good.
Now a question for me, what rub, and how did you prep the legs, like a flour roll, with rub, or rub, and another step.

I want to try it with pizza. I think it gets hot enough to make a pretty nice Pizza
I don't use the vortex for pizza. I just load the WSK with coal and a couple of chunks of oak. The stone is rasied with fire bricks. Stone and dome temps can be managed between 600 and 800F depending on the dough.

1670112666784.png

more here:

I had a vortex before the WSK so it's a just a normal one.

Mine is too tall to use with the coal grate in the upper position and to have the center gbs grate in place.

This is the one I have.

QuliMetal BBQ Whirlpool for Weber Kettle 22 26.75 Inches WSM, Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, Weber Smokey Mountain Charcoal Briquet Holders, Stainless Steel BBQ Kettle Barbecue Charcoal Grill Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083DC2817/?tag=tvwb-20

I’d bet the medium size would be good. Maybe Marty Owens will see this and respond?

I had a vortex before the WSK so it's a just a normal one.

Mine is too tall to use with the coal grate in the upper position and to have the center gbs grate in place.

This is the one I have.

QuliMetal BBQ Whirlpool for Weber Kettle 22 26.75 Inches WSM, Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, Weber Smokey Mountain Charcoal Briquet Holders, Stainless Steel BBQ Kettle Barbecue Charcoal Grill Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083DC2817/?tag=tvwb-20

Thank you Dan and Timothy.

Since Amazon has good return policy, I bought the medium and large so I can get a better idea which one fits better.

I’ll report back.

I was a bit skeptical about the need for a Vortex, then I decided to grab a QuliMetal version a couple weeks ago

I've done 2 chicken thigh cooks with it so far and it is a gamechanger. With a much smaller charcoal load it changes the convection in the WSK to where cooking indirect I hit the target temps around the same time the skin gets crispy. Very nice, thinking about a big porterhouse for Fathers Day, the searing should be great.

Back