Wrapping ribs

I wrap ribs , but dont like doing so
It speeds it up, but hurts bark
Also makes it hard to check meat temp or readiness by flex
Just taking inside to wrap costs 30 min+ on cook. They cool significantly.

Cooked 3 racks saturday....i like eating boneless ribs...take big hunk of meat dip in sauce . Much better than gnawing off bone. If you can pull bone out of cut rib...its good. Plus i cut up a couple for dogs.

Sh6ZTtds_o.jpg

Last edited:
So Brian really? You can't find the cherry wood? They sell a lot of it here. Re foil yep, ever since learning how aluminum contributed to my mom's condition I avoid it like the plague. I do know parchment will hold liquid as I have seen on cooking shows how they bake fish with white wine 'en papier' I guess it allows vapor out but keeps liquids in. I am sure it's the same process as butcher paper.
Yes about the baby backs. There is only one butcher I know where I can get true baby backs and that is the one by my dad's in Arlington Hts IL. It's called Thuringer's and some may recall my raving about them before. Their BB ribs have nothing in common with the horse bones they sell in most places. The bones are very thin, they're very tender and cook incredibly fast to fall off the bone delicious. BTW the spares I cooked were from that place as well.
I have a few leftover and they're today's lunch

Actually, you don't really need the cherry wood from the trees that make the big Bing cherries. Around us, we have a variety of cherry tree that grows will and produces very small (unusable) cherries, but is still in the same family as the tradition eating cherry family. It is pretty common actually.

When you guys do ribs, do you do them with smoke the whole cook. I find that If I keep refilling my smoker box every hour or so when the smoke dies down, my ribs get way too much smoke flavoring. I just do one, maybe two rounds with the smoker box and my ribs have plenty of smoke flavor. That goes with most of my food. I only use one round on my 12 lb turkey. Any more and it takes over the flavor of the meat. Of course the smoker I use puts out a lot of smoke after about 20 minutes for the next half hour and then dies back with little smoke coming out of the grill after that. If I take the wood out after the smoke dies down to almost nothing, I find there is still charred, but not fully burned wood still in the smoker box, so, I figure it it still still putting out some smoke for quite a while after the initial cloud.

Larry, can't say I really ever looked for Cherry wood before kind of curious where do you find it. I can find Mesquite and Hickory but don't recall seeing Cherry, in ATL at least my neighbors trees they call them Cherry trees bloom for a very short period but I don't remember ever seeing any Cherries on the ground.

Actually, you don't really need the cherry wood from the trees that make the big Bing cherries. Around us, we have a variety of cherry tree that grows will and produces very small (unusable) cherries, but is still in the same family as the tradition eating cherry family. It is pretty common actually.

When you guys do ribs, do you do them with smoke the whole cook. I find that If I keep refilling my smoker box every hour or so when the smoke dies down, my ribs get way too much smoke flavoring. I just do one, maybe two rounds with the smoker box and my ribs have plenty of smoke flavor. That goes with most of my food. I only use one round on my 12 lb turkey. Any more and it takes over the flavor of the meat. Of course the smoker I use puts out a lot of smoke after about 20 minutes for the next half hour and then dies back with little smoke coming out of the grill after that. If I take the wood out after the smoke dies down to almost nothing, I find there is still charred, but not fully burned wood still in the smoker box, so, I figure it it still still putting out some smoke for quite a while after the initial cloud.

Bruce, I am no expert by any means but I use maybe 2 or 3 fist size chunks to start and no more. In my UDS charcoal basket I put them in first with the charcoal on top so they smoulder this is in Harry's video also. Whether I am using my performer or smoker I run the top vent wide open otherwise you tend to get to much smoke in the food.

I assume you are doing this in the 1000 so you can't really vent it the same so I would think you would need to use one small load of wood chunks maybe a few pieces and be done.

Brian, most stores that sell grills and accessories, sell bags of various wood. I am pretty sure Home Depot has it in their grill section. If you do a lot of smoking, it isn't the most cost effective way to procure wood, but it would be plenty to decide if it something you like.

Bruce, thanks I will check this weekend my bag of Mesquite which I also like to use is just about empty. My wife had picked that up for me somewhere have to ask her where she got it.

I know a lot of guys use apple also to smoke so maybe can find some of that also.

I think Apple and CHerry are pretty similar in that they are more of a mild flavor. I have a bunch of Apple from a crab apple tree that I took down in my parent's yard a couple years ago. It is great. I also got a few cherry logs from a buddy who burns wood to heat his home. I think maybe I liked that a bit better than the Apple.

Last edited:
Bruce, I am no expert by any means but I use maybe 2 or 3 fist size chunks to start and no more. In my UDS charcoal basket I put them in first with the charcoal on top so they smoulder this is in Harry's video also. Whether I am using my performer or smoker I run the top vent wide open otherwise you tend to get to much smoke in the food.

I assume you are doing this in the 1000 so you can't really vent it the same so I would think you would need to use one small load of wood chunks maybe a few pieces and be done.

Brian, I just use one load in my triangle smoker. Probably about the same as one fist sized chunk.

I just use one filling of a couple packets of chips is all. I get all the smoke flavor they need that way. I have tried doing the constant refills but while the food gets a nice mahogany color the flavor becomes more "acrid" than I desire.
I actually buy bags of cherry, apple or hickory at my local grocery store. Hard to believe but that's where. A St Louis chain called Schnuks. Around here we call them Schmuks. Not very fond of them but they have a corner hold on the local grocery market

I have not needed wood in awhile thanks to everybody turns out my Walmart has 8 lbs of cherry chunks for under 8 bucks so going to pick up a bag. I still have some Mesquite left so good to go.

Quick question regarding ribs so I figured I would just hijack this thread.

The way I do ribs is to cook them to completion and then at the end, I brush them with BBQ sauce and put them back on the grill on high until the sauce caramelizes....maybe 5 minutes per side. So, my question is: Would it be OK to cook them up until they are done, but just before I sauce them up, could I take them off and store them for a while, and then maybe a few hours later finish them off by putting on the sauce and cooking them until the sauce is caramelized.
The reason I ask is that I would like to make some up and haul them over to my parent's place before finishing them off at a grill there. I don't want to have to do the full cook there, but just would like to have some nice home cooked, semi-fresh ribs with them at their place.
Let me know what you think.

I think you would be OK if kept well wrapped and somewhat insulated. You don't want them to cool way down, I don't believe, because then you would overcook trying to get them hot again.

I have done similar things (you may recall my doing the TG dead buzzard that way). Especially if you're using the wrap with parchment or butcher paper. But like Jon said. Don't let them cool because than you're just eating leftovers :D
Personally I don't always sauce ribs. Believe it or not sometimes all I do is make them with salt and pepper. Or sometimes I do them the way my friends in Italy do them. Season with S&P and when just before they come off baste with a nice chimchuri of parsley, red pepper flakes, a little fresh garlic, and a little more S&P. They're amazing done this way and a nice break from the candy glazes we use here in the US

Bruce use the brisket trick wrap them up foiled in a towel and stick them in a cooler they will stay warm for awhile till you can get them back on the grill.

Bruce, do what Brian said, the brisket towel trick then snap them up on the grill to set the sauce when you get where you’re going. Should be just fine!

Got 2 slabs of trimmed up St Louis ribs on the Wolf tonight with some packets of cherry wood on it. Not going to wrap tonight though

Back