Wintering over a WSM

John Frailey

TVWBB Fan
I am sure this question has been asked somewhere in these 17 pages, but here goes. Just took out my WSM after its first winter and had a pool of water in the bottom of it, despite being covered all winter. It wasn't a big problem, it cleaned up real quick, but was wondering how some of you long time users take care of your WSM's over the winter. Putting mine inside is not a viable option.

John, I'm sure you had your cover over it too... right?
Well, the top takes in water and melted snow thru the seams.
Folks have tried to waterproof the cover...
butt I find the best solution is to first cover the WSM with a large plastic 55 gallon bag then use the original WSM cover over that.
No more water problems.
icon_biggrin.gif

HTH.

...also the way it's made the lid fits inside the middle section which fits inside the bottom section. It's made that way so grease wont flow out of it and onto the ground/deck/patio/etc. while in use. It also allows any water/condensation/rain/snow melt/etc. to run down and into the bowl when not in use. I just turn the middle section upside down then put on the cover. That way the lid rests on the outside of the lip of the bottom of the middle section (which is now on top) and the lip of the top of the middle section (which is now on the bottom) rests on the outside of the rim of the charcoal bowl. Acts like shingles on a roof and all water stays out of the inside. Does this make sense?

Yup, both of your replies make sense. Luckily in sunny California I won't have to worry about it until October or so but thanks for the ideas. It is currently busy smoking a butt and backribs, but were it not busy it would thank you too...
icon_biggrin.gif

Like Jim said, I double-wrap with cover + garbage bag. I stored a 22.5" WSM outside for 6+ months and it was dry as a bone inside despite the tons of rain we had this past winter.

Some people have drilled a tiny weep hole in the bottom of the charcoal bowl. Seems better to keep the water out in the first place rather than try to evacuate it after the fact.

Regards,
Chris

I was sorta leaning that direction Chris. Thanks for the reinforcement. My problem with letting it in in the first place is rust. I read posts of people with rusted vents and just have to figure it best to keep the water out where it belongs. Never considered the cover was not waterproof. DUH on me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
...also the way it's made the lid fits inside the middle section which fits inside the bottom section. It's made that way so grease wont flow out of it and onto the ground/deck/patio/etc. while in use. It also allows any water/condensation/rain/snow melt/etc. to run down and into the bowl when not in use. I just turn the middle section upside down then put on the cover. That way the lid rests on the outside of the lip of the bottom of the middle section (which is now on top) and the lip of the top of the middle section (which is now on the bottom) rests on the outside of the rim of the charcoal bowl. Acts like shingles on a roof and all water stays out of the inside. Does this make sense? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As usual Don, you're right on target. Great suggestion, I'm gonna do that!!!

I've mentioned to Weber that they need to make the cover such that the top part is a solid circle and the seam where the skirt portion attaches is positioned below the edge of the lid. Unfortunately, the material is gathered and seamed above the edge of the lid, and it's through those seams that water gets inside.

Regards,
Chris

i use a premium 22.5" Weber kettle cover. they run about 25 bucks i think. they don't leak at all and it covers the WSM all the way down to the tops of the legs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i use a premium 22.5" Weber kettle cover. they run about 25 bucks i think. they don't leak at all and it covers the WSM all the way down to the tops of the legs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will check those out too. I have the gray cheapie one on my kettle and the winds kept blowing it completely off this winter. Hard to beat the price of a 55 gallon plastic contractor bag though.

The method that works best for me is to use my WSM at regular intervals throughout the year. Thanksgiving turkey, Christmas prime rib, New Years Eve MOINKS and Super Bowl Butts worked well for me last year. The only issue I had was an ice plug that formed in the charcoal bowl between New Years and Super Bowl. Going to schedule some bacon smokes this winter to avoid that issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Frailey:

I will check those out too. I have the gray cheapie one on my kettle and the winds kept blowing it completely off this winter. Hard to beat the price of a 55 gallon plastic contractor bag though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When the big trash bag blew off my 18.5 inch kettle twice the other day, I finally just gathered the bottom together and pinned it to the metal "triangle" with a clothes pin. That kept the wind from getting under the bag and lifting it off.

Early on, I came across the suggestion that Don made regarding turning the stack section upside down. Cover or no cover, NO PROBLEM.
icon_smile.gif

PS: To avoid mold, I leave the two bottom vents that are next to the house open, and in hot dry periods, the top vent open as well.

I'm a new WSM owner, and all these ideas sound good. I have had a Weber kettle for a few years, and I have the cheapie gray cover. I leave my top & bottom vent open when stored under the cover and I have not had a problem with moisture at all under our covered patio. When I went to pick up my WSM last night, I removed the black vinyl cover & found some water inside the charcoal bowl. Since the black vinyl cover is is listed as a premium cover, I assumed, incorrectly, that it was waterproof, or at least water resistant. I held up the cover to the patio light, & saw some pin holes & light coming in through the seams. Saw where Chris A. said the cover is not properly designed which explained the water, so I will give the 55 gal. bag + cover idea a try for my WSM and maybe the upside down center section idea too. I plan to leave all vents open as well.

Thanks for the tips.

John
All you have to do is turn the middle section around on the base and put the lid on it. This keeps the water out of it and you can still use the weber cover that isn't water proof on the WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif
and still let it look good with out putting a garbage bag on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this helps. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Frailey:
I am sure this question has been asked somewhere in these 17 pages, but here goes. Just took out my WSM after its first winter and had a pool of water in the bottom of it, despite being covered all winter. It wasn't a big problem, it cleaned up real quick, but was wondering how some of you long time users take care of your WSM's over the winter. Putting mine inside is not a viable option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back