Wings for a crowd on the WSM .

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
So my youngest invited a bunch of friends and family to come see his new house and I volunteered to cook wings on my WSM. Had to put everything in the truck and get there early to set up. Full load of charcoal . Empty water pan....
5b22d1734fc7a5bb3baa29612e64af05_zps5291eb3a.jpg

I was a bit nervous because I was cooking 10 pounds of wings which involved using both racks and that is something I haven't done a lot of. But I have to say that worked out OK. It was just a matter of logistics. I just took off the cover , flipped all the wings on the top grate , then set the top grate aside , flipped all the wings on the bottom grate and then put the smoker back together. I did that like 3 times and although the temp jumped up when I had the top off , it seemed to settle right down again.
44390aff67eec8e98067de4c4977e730_zpsccd6e4b1.jpg

I was a little stressed out over this cook because there was 60 people there and we got set up later than I would have liked , but at the end when everyone was raving about the chicken (even my brothers ;-). It was really worth it. If I had to do this again I would approach it with a lot more confidence.

3e1397e236745b85dd4779a5be8560ef_zpsf01f011e.jpg

7d808c9740858137ef92f889a7f34f41_zps4051066a.jpg

even the hot dogs I smoked on the WSM got raves. People seemed to notice the difference. I wish I had better pix of all the food and people , cuz there was a boatload of both , but I was busy as a one armed paper hanger. In the end a few of these helped my mood as well.:cool:
d292db737de238352436f0ec890c92b1_zps62a492ca.jpg

Oh , I didn't take a pic of the house , but here's one from earlier this year.

e1ee2de9ca5efa58520e879c6e9fff34_zps1782ce00.jpg

That's sure a great lookin' bunch of wings! I could use several of those, RIGHT NOW!;) Good work! I'll bet that WAS a happy crowd!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That's a boat load of wings to do and you sir did them perfectly! Nice looking home your youngest has there.

Well Frank, I'm an Angry Bob!:mad: :p
You should have posted this in the Photo Gallery so more folks would see this mighty fine cook!
Beautiful wing cook, and new digs for your son!

Thanks , guys. I forgot to mention that I dusted these with kickin chicken and at the end I sauced them with open pit. Everyone seemed to like how "zingy" the wings were.

Well Frank, I'm an Angry Bob!:mad: :p
You should have posted this in the Photo Gallery so more folks would see this mighty fine cook!
Beautiful wing cook, and new digs for your son!

I know ! I thought it was weird that it didn't show up in " new posts" at first...I will go photo gallery next time. Thanks , bob.

Wow, that chicken looks so good. Perfectly done. Great job, Frank. That last picture looks sooo refreshing. 103 here in the shade today and this is a cool day. 108 tomorrow and on and on for the next 10 days according to the weather channel.

Nice house and Awesome cook! Really cool that you served as chef for your son's event. I'm sure compliments were well deserved.

Last edited:
I have a feeling your going to be invited often to his house because his friends will want more bbq.

My experiments cooking for other people don't come out as good.

Great job!

You had me with that list pic. I thought it was snowing somewhere

Back