Whole Chicken

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Cooked a couple of whole chickens on the WSM using peach wood and just some sea salt for seasoning. Shredded them both and will use for future meals.

Added the skin and bones into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and made bone broth (right) then added the bones into a blender and blended it plus the giblets I had boiled earlier to make a "soup" for the dogs (left). So I ended up using 100% of both of these chicken.

Nothing beats homemade stock. Great color on those birds - I bet they taste wonderful.

Blending bones? I had no idea that was even possible? Is your blender gas powered? :p

Great looking chicken John. Way to use the whole bird. If I could do that I wouldn't have to wash out my big trashcans every month.

Nice, John. I've done this same cook many times (minus the bone soup....no dogs.) I love my Instant Pot for stock. So easy!

R

Never heard of grinding up the bones, bet your pups are happy campers with that. Great use of the whole bird.
As I type this Barb is at the local Frys (Kroger) as they have whole chickens for .97 a pound. We get three or four and throw them in the freezer for salads and stews, enchiladas, etc. We also use some of the meat off the legs and wings as treats for our SRD (Spoiled Rotten Dog) Whitney which she just loves .

WOW!!! John you nailed those birds, they look delicious. Never heard of grinding up the bones but a great idea and I'm sure you made those pups very happy.

Back