Who will admit to liking steak sauce?

Your question triggers lots of [fond] memories. In my early years I demanded steak sauce, be it A.1. or Heinz. Eventually, once I began a mediocre effort on my own to grill steaks, I relied on cooking technique and seasonings and abandoned the sauce. It's been many years since I dipped but I would not snub my nose at a bite nor would I frown on others for doing so. It doesn't work for me today but I can understand it may satisfy other taste buds.

I have some good A1 steak sauce memories too. Growing up we ate steaks at Bonanza or Ponderosa and used plenty of A1. My dad probably could have been a competitive eater.... he was the master of putting 5 lbs of salad on a 3 lb plate and then knocking out a ribeye and baked potato without batting an eye. I don't remember for sure if Dad used the A1 but my brother and I did.

Would I use it today???? not sure I haven't touched it in years. Maybe I'll give it a shot just for fun.

I do not stock it at home but I've been known to add steak sauce to baked potatoes. Love all kinds of dipping sauces on my baked potatoes.

I'll admit it, I once loved A1 and H57. But that was in the early days and mostly on sirloin. Now a days, I absolutely love compound butter on a rib eye, strip or T-bone. A1 is still good on roast beef if there is no horse radish. ☺️

Last edited:
I used to like Lee and Perrins steak sauce that they discontinued. Trader Joes has one that is quite similar. It is more fruity than the vinegar based A1 types.

I don't know if you're like me, but occasionally I see something at the supermarket and have a positive feeling about it, it's something I haven't had in a long time, I drop it in the shopping cart, get it home and try it again, and then realize why I haven't bought any for the last 5 or 10 years! That's what recently happened with Heinz 57 sauce. It's sitting in the pantry, unopened, waiting for me to make a steak and repeat the experience I described.

What about HP sauce or Smith & Wollensky? Anyone like those?

Last edited:
When I was a kid my Dad grilled a lot of steaks on our patio on a charcoal hibachi like this:

s-l640.jpg

While this ignited my love of grilling over charcoal at a very young age, my Dad unfortunately grew up at a time that made Americans deathly afraid of undercooked meat. The majority of the steaks we ate were cooked to a minimum of medium well and A1 was a staple for steak night.

Thankfully by the time I was in college my Dad realized the error of his ways and medium rare became the standard and with that transition came the inevitable fade of the use of A1 sauce. Hadn't touched it, or any steak sauce in 20 years. Then something happened in the last year. My Dad was diagnosed with lung disease and at 86 years old we're trying to make the best of the time we have left. This has made me very nostalgic about memories of the past. And, I found myself absolutely craving A1 Sauce.

So, lately I've been using a small amount on the plate to dip a few bites of my steak to scratch that itch. I've always said you only needed steak sauce for a bad steak so now my wife wears me out about using it, but it's a nice change of pace for a few bites of my steaks.

I don't know if you're like me, but occasionally I see something at the supermarket and have a positive feeling about it, it's something I haven't had in a long time, I drop it in the shopping cart, get it home and try it again, and then realize why I haven't bought any for the last 5 or 10 years! That's what recently happened with Heinz 57 sauce. It's sitting in the pantry, unopened, waiting for me to make a steak and repeat the experience I described.

What about HP sauce or Smith & Wollensky? Anyone like those?
I always have a bottle of Heinz 57 in the fridge. I use it In baked beans and leftover beef I’m going to eat in a sandwich.

I like a sauce once in awhile but its a sirloin or maybe a Tbone but most often a sirloin, it's good on a burger at times, the L&P was good sauce but didn't know they quit making it. Horse radish creamy gets the steak most of the time if I have a craving. no shame in adding flavors imo. Also a sear/char of a good steak isn't necessary for me these days as some spices taste better in the raw form vs burnt, your taste buds may not agree lol

A-1,HP, 57 I like them all. Not a “running sea” on the plate but a little now and then is nice.
I used a hibachi like that for years, great for steaks, you need to be pretty diligent with chicken but, it can be done with excellent results!

Mom would place a roast (beef or pork) in the oven before church, and it needed something wet on it when we ate. My preference was Worcestershire or Heinz 57. I just thought dry meat was normal. Later in life when I made steak on the grill, we had A-1 on the table. Now that I know how to cook different kinds of steak (chuck eye steak is my preferred), all that's needed is the butter and meat juice from resting. Have Heinz 57 in fridge waiting for my next meatloaf.

I like steak sauce on breaded pork chops, either shake & bake or fried, air fried.
I'm not brand loyal so whatever is on sale.
Occasionally I'll use some on a steak or burger.

Heinz 57 was my go to growing up and I try a little on leftover steak every once in a while to see if I still like it and I do.

Does smoked bone marrow butter count as a steak sauce? :)

I, too, have memories of A1, mostly from the occasional family trip to Sizzler.....but also haven't used it in many years.

R
Sizzler LOL, we had one a couple blocks away when I was a kid. That brings back some memories, I once stabbed my brother way to hard with one of the temperature sticks they used to out in them.
hahaha thanks for the reminder.

For me A-1 has its place, like other have said I do like it on a burger sometimes.
It gets the kids to eat more red meat every now and then.

A-1,HP, 57 I like them all. Not a “running sea” on the plate but a little now and then is nice.
I used a hibachi like that for years, great for steaks, you need to be pretty diligent with chicken but, it can be done with excellent results!
This. Peter Luger's steak sauce is pretty good too.

Back