While smoking a pork butt, fat up or on the grate???

LeoP.

TVWBB Member
Here is a simple one in advance of my first pork butt on my Kettle. I've read both ways blah blah blah but cutting thru the BS how does everyone prefer to cook their butts? Fat up with it "soaking" thru the meat or fat down on the grate?

Thanks

Leo-

I think that it doesn't matter. I also think that there are people who will swear by either one, and who can actually discern a difference that they prefer....no right answer.

I tend to cook fat cap up, mostly because if I don't, that side of the butt will often stick to the grate when I remove it, and I prefer to keep it attached/intact (lots of good spice/bark/fat there....)

I think if you really want to figure out what you prefer, you are just going to have to buckle down and cook two!! :)

Rich

The last butts I did I trimmed off nearly all of the fat cap, so it didn't really matter. They came out awesome; more bark and less waste while shredding.

Fat up if I remember, because if I don't the fat melts through and gets stuck to the grates by the time it's all finished cooking.

Also with fat up, you can harvest some of that false cap meat before the rest is done, for a cook's treat.

The last butts I did I trimmed off nearly all of the fat cap, so it didn't really matter. They came out awesome; more bark and less waste while shredding.

I'm with Chad on this, for exactly the same reasons. Pork butt has a lot of internal fat and doesn't need a fat cap to protect it. I did a well-trimmed 9-pounder last week and it was juicy and delicious cooked low and slow. Brisket is always fat down (1/4") for me.

Ok two more question for the pros! What temperature should I maintain in the Kettle and what temperature should the butt be inside when I remove it?

No pro here, but I like the smoker at 250F and the butt to come off at 195F, wrap in foil, and into the cooler with a towel at the bottom until I'm ready to pull it. Probe the meat in multiple spots to check for temp, and more importantly, tenderness.

Last edited:
Ok two more question for the pros! What temperature should I maintain in the Kettle and what temperature should the butt be inside when I remove it?

I would shoot for 225 to 250, if you can maintain that. Assuming that you will have coals on one side or do the snake, I'd keep any fat cap between the meat and heat. As far as meat temp is concerned, it should be tender between 195 and 205. If you're doing a bone-in Boston butt, the bone should just slide out. Good luck.

P.S. Get a WSM and make your job easier. :)

I'm in the group of no trim and fat-cap down. My reasoning is I shoot for 300 deg for butts and picnics and the FC shields the meat and slowly renders away leaving the false cap.
I've done a few FC up and I feel as the fat renders and bastes or lubes the butt as it slides down it also washes off some of the rub.
As far as internals I don't temp butts anymore. I go by time at a certain temp and when I like the color and the butt feels pliable to the hand I'll start probing for tender.

Tim

Untrimmed, fat side down.
Run for at least the first 2-3 hrs. at 225/250 to take on smoke.
Kick it up to 300/325.
Remove when the bone wiggles freely.
Lightly wrap with foil, place in unheated oven or microwave for at least an hour.
Pull.
Eat like a pig.

I'm in the group of no trim and fat-cap down. My reasoning is I shoot for 300 deg for butts and picnics and the FC shields the meat and slowly renders away leaving the false cap.
I've done a few FC up and I feel as the fat renders and bastes or lubes the butt as it slides down it also washes off some of the rub.
As far as internals I don't temp butts anymore. I go by time at a certain temp and when I like the color and the butt feels pliable to the hand I'll start probing for tender.

Tim

Also, the shape of the butt stays together much more nicely if you don't trim, or at least don't trim into/below the false cap.

I trim the fat cap off all my butts, always have. No real reason, other than I always have..I keep my WSM between 265-275 for the entire cook and know a 7-8 pounder will come off in about 9-10 hours. I leave my maverick in to keep an eye on internal temps, but my true test for doneness is the probe test and I start checking when the butt hits an internal temp of 190. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Tim

Fat cap down. No trim. No foil. 275 degrees until 195 internal temp. Then check for tenderness. Always use smoker. This is what works for me.

Done it both ways and the butts don't care. Meat still comes out amazing. Cook at 230° to 250° until IT of 200°.

picnic7_zpsjcb0mrmg.jpg

Back