Which to add to the stable... 14.5" or 22"?

BobbyJoeinGa

I have a WSM 18, and I'm looking to add another WSM to the fleet. I also have a home made 55 gallon UDS and three Weber kettles.

I like the idea of having the smaller 14" for when it's just me and the wife. But I'd also like to have the 22" for more room for briskets and such... and even though the UDS is similar to the 22" in space, it is a pain to move and load.

I can't decide which to get... 14" or 22"?

Tell me which you'd get and why.

There was a time I would say get the 22” because it is the biggest and the best. And the only reason I deviate from that is now I have a Pellet Grill and as much as it pains me to say it, it’s my favorite grill.

Sounds like you are pretty setup with your 18” WSM, your kettles and your barrel smoker.

Personally I think you have everything you need at this point, and you are at the point to figure out what’s next in your arsenal.

Be creative and don’t be limited as to what’s next. There’s lots of good choices, and not one for certain.

Enjoy the crossroads, the unknown is as much fun as the known

Normally I would say get a 22-in. But with the rest of the stuff you got doesn't sound like you need that much room. The 22-in does a great job but also eats a lot of charcoal. Kind of depends on what you're going to use it for and how much you're going to use it. If I was to go back and do everything again I think I would just get an 18-in for my wife and I.

If you are going to have two WSMs, you probably should get rid of the 18 TBH.

14/22 (small, large) makes the most sense imo. Small/med or med/large -- not so much.

You probably are just fine with one medium.

I had the 18, sold it to a good friend and then replaced it with the 14.5. I can cook anything on the 14.5 including a 19 lb brisket (took some imagination, but did it whole). I really like the small WSM with it's low charcoal demand. I've packed it in one cook with meatloaf and sausage (lower grate) and ribs, potatoes, wings and more sausage (upper grate). It has all the versatility and more that I need for my 1-2 person needs as well as a small family. I would stay with the 18 and a 14.5. I have never wanted a 22.

I agree with Dan. GET BOTH!! But if you don’t. I suggest going with the 22 in. Space to me is everything. I started with the 18 and love it! But I found myself saying, I would like so more space. So I pulled the trigger about a Couple of years later and never regretted it. If it does uses more charcoal up, I don’t notice it. Because at the end of all my smokes I have a lot left over. At that point I shut down the smoker to snuff it out and then add more fresh coal for my next smoke. That includes my 18 in too. And like the saying goes. Go Big Or Go Home. Lol accept when I bought the steelmade pro griddle. Love it but Heavyy 🤣 But that another story in a different sec on this forum 🤣 Let us know which one you go with!

I'd go with the 14, as it's something that's different from everything else you have and more portable/manageable.

Between the 18, grills, and drum you really have the 22" usage covered, where a 14" is going to give you a compact cooking option you don't have currently.

I'm in a similar situation..we just became empty nesters. Yes, they do move out eventually. I have a 22" kettle and a 18.5" WSM and finally a Q1000. I think I'm going 14" since will just bey wife and I. Single rack of ribs, turkey breast or a chicken. It will be the Q and 14" that will get the most use I'm sure.

I had all 3 sizes at one point. I sold the 22 just because I really never needed the space on the 22 for any of my cooks. I like having the 14 and the 18.5 and it works for our family. I have had to do 6 butts at one time so I just fired up both of them. It really depends on what your cooking needs are. The 22 is huge and has a large appetite for charcoal so keep that in mind too.

I don’t have any other smoker than the 18, I have (in service) 3-22 kettles, one 18” kettle, and a 1xxx Genesis, I’ve considered a 14 but, I simply cannot justify another unit. I guess I’m not much help on this one.

Back