When You're Smokin' What are You Drinkin' and Listening to?

Was trying to ignore this string, but seeing Steve Earle, Sufjan Stevens, Tripel Krmeliet, Kwak, and PBR in one post, just had to have a response. Where the heck do you find Kwak. Had it all the time during my life in Belgium...even have the wooden holder for the glasses (look like mini-yards).

My preferred drinks: whatever beer is around, not pretentious enoungh exclusively drink micros or imports, but not cheap enouth to drink only Old Style. Been sippin lots of Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve lately.

You have to admit that iPod's have revolutionized how we listen to music, as many others, I can't say I'm ever in genre very long. Some favorites that keep appearing, Keb 'Mo, Lyle Lovett, and a podcast from 'thebestradioyouneverheard.com'.

Drink WA & AUS Reds 90+% of time. 2nd fav adult bev is homemade hard lemonade.

Music, BB King, George Thorogood, Mike Oldfield, Big Bad VooDoo daddy and the like.

Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
Marc, my three boys (8, 6, 6) talk about stuff like that all of the time. Worst part is, at 6 they are not particularly adept story tellers. They are, however, enthusiatic!
And learning to love Q.

I hear you....I get 3 or 4 stories rolled into one. My other son (1.5 years) is an eating machine....anything BBQ he eats. If he gives us a problem with a regular dinner, I throw a little BBQ sauce on the food and it's gone!

Originally posted by Dan Allen:
Wonder Pets saved the tree? This is what I have to look forward to? My son is two and a huge "Little Einsteins" fan.
icon_smile.gif
I'm trying to steer him away from Elmo (not having luck with that one) and 'The Big Purple Dinosaur" is strictly verboten.
icon_biggrin.gif

On the plus side, he's taken to the computer I built for him like a duck to water so he'll probably be posting here with a year or two.
icon_wink.gif
He's a third generation geek (Geek v3.0). Mom was an old mainframe programmer, I'm a sysadmin. It's in his DNA.

UPDATE: The Wonder Pets Saved the Frog....at least that is what I was told when I got home from work. The only dino's in my house are normal looking (no purple).

UPDATE: The Wonder Pets Ate the BBQ POrk Butt...I am waiting for this episode.

I found that works for me too. The little guy had his first BBQ ribs (toned down of course) at about a year old. Good ol' Uncle Mike.

We took a trip to North Carolina back in the the spring and hit a few BBQ joints. He loved to dip his fingers in the sauce. I don't know if it's the taste or that he just likes to dip stuff because I get the same reaction with ketchup (but he doesn't like mustard).
icon_smile.gif
So if he's not eating I give him something to dip his food in and away he goes.

There's a tip you'll never find in a "child development" book.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Marc P.:
I hear you....I get 3 or 4 stories rolled into one. My other son (1.5 years) is an eating machine....anything BBQ he eats. If he gives us a problem with a regular dinner, I throw a little BBQ sauce on the food and it's gone!

Well, I don't consider myself to be pretentious.
icon_biggrin.gif
I was weaned on Old Milwaukee and Schlitz (almost literally, I know the old man was giving me sips of beer at four years old and there's a family legend of me being drunk on wine in a public resturant at two years, ah being from an Irish family). These days I don't drink much beer, maybe a bottle with dinner two or three times a year. The carbonation in your "average" American beer gives me heartburn
icon_frown.gif
so when I do have a beer it's usually Guinness or maybe a good German beer. Back in the day when I would go out with the guys on weekends (before we all got married) the beer of choice was MGD.

Originally posted by Joe McManus:
My preferred drinks: whatever beer is around, not pretentious enoungh exclusively drink micros or imports, but not cheap enouth to drink only Old Style.

I knew that word pretentious would raise the guile...really didn't intend it. I appreciate the the "better beers" as much as the next guy. But living in a town with a high population density of what used to be called yuppies, I run into folks all the time who drink the trendy micro/import of the day and couldn't tell you the difference between a stout and a pilsner. Now they have found PBR...is nothing sacred anymore
icon_eek.gif
?

Beer: COLD
Music: LOUD, BEER-DRINKIN', FIGHTIN' COUNTRY MUSIC

I have a tailgating country music anthology that I have created on my iPod. Nobody from the 90's or today (pansies), no cryin', hurtin'....just pure hell-raisin'!!!!

Was trying to ignore this string, but seeing Steve Earle, Sufjan Stevens, Tripel Krmeliet, Kwak, and PBR in one post, just had to have a response. Where the heck do you find Kwak. Had it all the time during my life in Belgium...even have the wooden holder for the glasses (look like mini-yards).

Well, Joe, it's funny you ask that. I'm the US importer for Kwak and Tripel Karmeliet, two beers from the Bosteels Brewery. You'll be amazed to find out that our #1 distributor in the country is Windy City Distributing, the distribution arm of Two Brothers Brewing in Warrenville, just a few minutes down the road.

You can get it at Binny's in Naperville (I checked and they have the 750ml in stock right now) if you want to fill those memento glasses up one more time!

I knew that word pretentious would raise the guile...really didn't intend it. I appreciate the the "better beers" as much as the next guy. But living in a town with a high population density of what used to be called yuppies, I run into folks all the time who drink the trendy micro/import of the day and couldn't tell you the difference between a stout and a pilsner. Now they have found PBR...is nothing sacred anymore
icon_eek.gif
?

No problem. I know exactly what you mean.

Pork Butts, Chris Tomlin and A Diet Coke.

I also tend to watch golf while the Nu Temp monitors the goings on outside.

Lanny,

Too cool! I lived in Antwerp for a little more than a year. Of course when your there you have to drink DeKonnick, and what I wouldn't do for one now. Back to my pretentiousness comments...another case in point...Stella Artois...its all in the marketing.

What's really funny is my girls go to dance lessons next door to that Binny's. I browse through there often, but never spotted the Kwak.

Back to my pretentiousness comments...another case in point...Stella Artois...its all in the marketing.

Joe,

True. InBev, the parent company of Stella, is very savvy in their marketing approach. They spend a lot of money bolstering up a very ordinary beer. Yet it works!

I'm in favor of almost anything that will get Americans to drink more Belgian beer, but it's sad that some folks think Stella is what the Belgian beer scene is all about.

Take a gander in Binny's next time you can and you might be surprised. DeKonnick is also available in the US (not by me) but I don't know the situation in Chicagoland.

Hmmm, my interest is peaked. You wouldn't happen to know where it might be sold in my area (lake county Illinois)... Naperville is a little too far for me to travel for beer, given the price of gas these days.
icon_smile.gif
Must be a sign of getting old.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Lanny Hoff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe McManus:

Well, Joe, it's funny you ask that. I'm the US importer for Kwak and Tripel Karmeliet, two beers from the Bosteels Brewery. You'll be amazed to find out that our #1 distributor in the country is Windy City Distributing, the distribution arm of Two Brothers Brewing in Warrenville, just a few minutes down the road.

You can get it at Binny's in Naperville (I checked and they have the 750ml in stock right now) if you want to fill those memento glasses up one more time! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great thread...I just posted a similar one a few minutes ago and thanks to Doug D...he gave me the link to this one. When I (we...my better half and I) smoke on our WSM we listen to Eric Clapton "Blues". Happy Smokin'!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Brew of chioce today..."Mirror Pond Pale Ale"

Usually Rush, Led Zep or something from that era, and normally a good local microbrew, lately it has been from Skookum Brewery in Arlington WA, I fill my corny keg from them.

Back