When You're Smokin' What are You Drinkin' and Listening to?

Ben Milano

TVWBB Member
I am a musician (singer); I also tended bar for many years while attending college and even a bit afterwards. Now I am REALLY into wine, even took and graduated from a wine program here in NYC.

Which brings me to my post

You're smokin' in your yard, hanging with the family or the guys - what are you drinkin' and listening to while you're cooking and when you sit down to eat your hard work?

I personally love red wine but find that a good red zin just hits the spot. I also LOVE Elvis but the other day I went Roadhouse all the way. I cranked up my Sirius radio and listened to some real Blues for about 4-5 hours. My family thought they were transported back to Memphis!

This week I attempt a pork butt! Wish me luck!

Drinking Miller High life (in a bottle), maybe a little Jim Beam and listening to southern rock. I am particular to the Allman Brothers Eat a Peach album. Still have it on vinyl and play it all the time.

Ahh, vinyl and the Allmans. ) I like you already. I met Greg and Dickie about 6 years ago after a gig in NYC - very cool guys; very high but very cool

Drinking my Henry's Hef and listening to Blues. Nuttin' betta den Blues and BBQ.

Sometimes oldies, Sam Cook, Everly Bros., Buddy Holly, etc. What can I say? I'm an oldies freak. Something naive and positive about the oldie songs - even the "my girl just left me" kind seem to be upbeat.

Blues and Bud Light, here in Tennessee.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Clapton, BB King, Allman Bros., and if I'm in the right mood, Van Hagar.

Cooked for Greg once or twice--well, no, he came into the restaurant where I cheffed. But I remember swilling very cheap wine and playing 'Eat a Peach' over and over the day it was released with a bunch of other people.

Now it's a Santa Barbara or Monterey chard while cooking, perhaps a very dry Stoli martini, and with dinner it depends on what I've cooked. But I'm the sole member of my 'group' that drinks red so if I'm drinking red, I'm drinking it alone.

I smoke on thurs, but can't drink because I have to go pick up the boy from school at 3:30, but I'm usually listening to something like "Cross Canadian Ragweed", "The Donnas" or I have a 4 cd collection called the "History of the Blues", I listen to a lot.

Black russians, a good merlot, or yellow tail shiraz are usually high on my list of drinks when BBQing. I've got about 2000 songs on my MP3 player with music ranging from Frank Sinatra to Rage Against The Machine I just hit random shuffle and away I go!!!

I like wine, but I just can't get into the wine mood while smoking or eating barbecue.

Bourbon ... on the rocks for me!

Music? Country and Blues.

boy... I hope I don't get run off the site here... because I don't drink alcohol and I don't like country. yikes. Hey, but I love BBQ.

when I'm smoking, I'm drinking something interesting... like water or maybe orange juice. In recent smokes I think I listened to the strokes or weezer or granddaddy or the shins or good oldies like the ramones. Actually, that probably is a lie. I think most of the time I'm listening to my daughters' music (sesame street, disney, etc...). lotsa fun in our crazy house...

Adam its ok I'm with ya... kinda.

Lately I've been drinking apple juice that is left over from a recipe and most of all I'm listening to my wife ***** about the smell of smoke in our apartment.... I can't wait till we are in our house and I don't have to smoke on our apartment patio! As far as music goes I just bought the Iron Horse CD of Bluegrass tribute to Led Zeplin. Took me listening to it twice before I liked it, but now I'm hooked.

Does anybody else have a hysterical spouse who hates the smell of hickory filling the house? Found any solutions besides giving them the credit card and sending them shopping?

Help ME,
Josh

Drinking - Ideally, a nice cold homebrew( some of my batches are better than others.) Dogfish 90min IPA, , Capitol Blonde dopplebock.

Groovin- Jimmy Lafave, Johnny Cash, Beau Jocque, Joe Satriani, Social Distortion.

The drink is always beer and the music is always Jimmy Buffett. For you Sirius subscribers, take note that Buffett's Radio Margaritaville makes its Sirius debut this summer.

OK, I'm definitely in the minority.

I had a really good friend say that you should make pasta while listening to opera or classical quite loudly. Well, that doesn't fit smokin'.

I can appreciate a lot of folks here ... some of the beverages and musicians are OTH (off the hook).

But ... when my smoker runs ... my neighbors must hate me. I live in a "soutwest tract home" (those in AZ will understand) and I do my own thing. I definitely rock out and I've had more than one neighbor stop by with the excuse of "Hey, it's loud but good music and the aromas are !#@#$* orgasmic".

So, bands like Metallica, Clutch, and System of a Down boom out of my windows while the smoke makes my apologies to my neighbors.

Usually it's a sierra nevada or bud (whatever the pocket book can swing).

I like a lot of different music when Qing. On the country side, I like Hank Williams Sr. a lot and have been listening to him lately. But also Zeppelin, Cream, etc. All "before my time", but great music.

Creedence clearwater just has to be about the best Qing music ever though!

Back