When the BBQ Gods send you a message you listen!

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
You guys know how I have been wanting to take the leap to do my first brisket, but keep not doing it. Yep that's me. So Thursday when I got sent on a late night grocery store shopping run, while doing my "meat case check" I hear my butcher buddy's voice say, "Richards, perfect timing... I was just checking what needed marked down, here you want this." As he slapped a 50% off sticker on a 7.5 lb brisket flat and placed it in my cart. He literally placed it in my cart!!! Brisket was already on sale, down from $7.99 to $3.99 a pound, so with the marked down sticker, it ended up being $1.99 per pound, so just over $15!!! If that isn't a message from the BBQ Gods then I don't know what is. So I said to the BBQ Gods "OK". Last night I went for it. Trimmed the fat and this is what I ended up with.IMG_20210319_202153.jpg
I was worried that with being only the flat it might dry out so I injected it with some beef broth and WS.
1616199731989~2.jpg
Made a rub up of:
2 Tb Pepper
1 Tb Salt
1 Tb bbq rub
1/2 Tb White Lightning Seasoning
IMG_20210319_215914.jpg
Got it on the WSM 14 with two pieces of hickory and two pieces of pecan using Blue Hogs Briquettes. Pit ran really steady between 230 and 240 from 10 pm until 6 am when I took the brisket off to wrap in foil. Here is what it looked like at 6 am.
IMG_20210320_082241.jpg
Fat cap side.
IMG_20210320_082248.jpg
And ready to be wrapped with a little more rub, beef broth, and WS.IMG_20210320_082228.jpg
It went back on the WSM 14 and after one adjustment of the bottom vent the pit settled between 265 and 275 unit the meat was reading 202 to 204 at 8 am and I took it off and put it in the cooler. There was nice wiggle to the little piece of meat and juices dropped out of corner crack so I was feeling really excited for the final results.
And many hours later I opened it up.
IMG_20210320_181155.jpg
Oh man did that smell good!
And the first slice.
IMG_20210320_181133.jpg
More slices.
IMG_20210320_181125.jpg
And plated.
IMG_20210320_181116.jpg
I made some bbq chicken breast on the kettle. When they reached 155, I placed them in a CI skillet with some bbq sauce and let them finish up, no pictures, but I used that warm bbq sauce to finish the plate and it went perfect! I had like nine (thin) slices of brisket.
I was really really happy with that as a first attempt at brisket. The smoke flavor come through the strongest and a kick of black pepper hit me just a little bit. It was super tender. It may be viewed as a bit dry, but that did not take away from the eating experience at all.
Another thanks to the BBQ Gods and everything here because without both I would never done a brisket!!!!

A continued review of Blue Hogs Briquettes (BHB):
This is my forth cook and I am into my second bag of BHB, and I love the stuff. I got the no ridged, pillow version. After a cook with the CI griddle, two with the vortex, and one with the WSM 14 I have been overly happy every cook. With Weber Briquettes no more, I have been really looking for a briquette that could last a long time in the WSM 14 for those low and slow long cooks. This is what was left after I shut down the vents 11 plus hours after putting the 8 Briquettes minion method started was dumped. I did not have to shake it or stir the coals, it just ran steady!!!
IMG_20210320_192213.jpg

I will be picking up two more bags of BHB here in the next few weeks, I am also going to pick up a bag B&B Briquettes. I tried two bags of B&B last fall right when we heard Weber was being discontinued, and I was really not impressed. I want to try another bag and see if that was a bad batch.

Looks great, Michael! Nice job on your first brisket. That looked like just a flat (right?), but not ruthlessly trimmed like most flats I see. I've got a packer going on tonight, hope I have the same success as you!

R

Strong work Michael! Now that you’ve done one, the fear is not going to be such a concern, the “I have to watch this” syndrome doesn’t go away immediately but after three, I was light the thing and go to bed!
They are worth every minute of lost sleep no matter what.

Looks great, Michael! Nice job on your first brisket. That looked like just a flat (right?), but not ruthlessly trimmed like most flats I see. I've got a packer going on tonight, hope I have the same success as you!

R
I had it in my head that it was a flat. When I got home and really looked at what I just purchased, it was labeled simply as a brisket. Those first two photos are after I took off about a lb of thick fat off the back and some silver skin on the front side. I didn't know if I went to intense with the trim, but the the meat by the fat cap was the best so I think I did ok. I can't wait to show my buddy the results.

Strong work Michael! Now that you’ve done one, the fear is not going to be such a concern, the “I have to watch this” syndrome doesn’t go away immediately but after three, I was light the thing and go to bed!
They are worth every minute of lost sleep no matter what.
Yeah, the last two over night cook I have done I have got up hourly, this one because it was a brisket, and the last because it was my first overnight cooking using the kettle with the diffuser. I am really looking forward to an overnight cook that I can space those checks out longer. Last night I could have gotten away with much less checking then I did, it went so smooth.

Great job! Looks delicious, did the kids try any?
So... we get my niece every other weekend and two days a week and the eating habits she beings with her something gets under my skin (a lot of processed food). But she has loved every piece of meat beef and pork that I have pulled off a Weber. Last night she tried to keep up with me with the brisket eating. She loved it and stole a few pieces from today's sandwich.
Now, my son and younger daughter, neither were fans, nor were they of any of the beef ribs I have done in the past. When we go out for bbq and I get brisket they always say why would you get this over pulled pork or chicken. After dinner, the conversation went to everything they liked better and why I should have smoked that... "Dad when are going to do the pork shoulder in the freezer" "Yeah, what about those ribs", "If you wanted beef why didn't you do the rib eye or the tri-tip we have?" "That tonight just made me want another London Broil."
I look forward to/hoping for the world to go back to some normalcy so I can make a full packer brisket to take to a big soccer team gathering, or outdoor Euro Cup football watch party this summer, or a big summer backyard neighborhood party for others to enjoy it with me.

That looks delicious, and the sandwich - OH MY!
Your niece sounds like she has great taste, maybe she can help you educate your son and daughter. 😉
Just kidding! Everyone has their own tastes, and it's fun fixing what other people like.
But its nice that you have her to appreciate your efforts until you can reach a larger audience.

Back