What's the craziest weather you're ever grilled in?

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
So growing up we grilled all year round. Rain, snow, heat, no problem. I remember during the blizzard of 1993 in PA when we got over 5 ft of snow going outside and shoving out the bbq area to get back to grilling. Last summer, I started to grill and the rain started to come down is sheets I moved the grill beneath the overhand and cooked standing in the doorway of the garage with a wall of water right behind the gas grill. Now today, I got a chimney of charcoal going and my daughter goes dad that sky does not look good. While just before it was time to put the meat on the rain starred. I move the grill into the tiny breezeway and put the meat on. Then while attempting to following Jim's and Bob's orders to the best of my ability trying to staying outside with a coffee in one hand and the tongs in the other, when the rain started to come sideways and then I heard this sound. The sound of hail hitting the roof. I was outside in the little breezeway with rain and hail grilling and loving it. So, what is the craziest weather you have ever grilled it?

Grilling? I've grilled well down below 0 F.

Smoking? 2 years ago in August, I'd just fired up my monster a couple of hours before the tornadoes rolled through (more than 5 in a 10 mile radius.) Some straight line winds on the order of 70 mph.Zero water incursion, it didn't move an inch, and the food turned out wonderful.

I live in Oklahoma.... Rain, hail, thunderstorms, 100 degree heat with 90 percent humidity, wind, tornadoes, earthquakes, snow, sleet, freezing rain.... Done it all.

Charcoal. -27. Chicago. But in fairness it was just to say we did it. Record day. Jan 20 1985 iirc

Was that around the time when the Bears had the parade downtown.?
I remember that cold stretch, off of work because it was too cold to work outside.
I was working by the Fox valley mall, it was closer to - 40 out this way.

Tim

Let's just say, I am proud of all of you. Chris, is there a Medal of Honor or such for them. They are true dedicated grillers.

You know, when you really want something grilled, weather does not matter! I snow blow right all around the access side of the grill or, I’ll cheat and use the gasser in the garage door, the up side of grilling in the winter is that your beer stays cold!
I love the “course” to the grill Jim!

This thread makes me appreciate even more the last 30 years in SoCal after growing up outside Detroit. Though it was rainy and windy last thanksgiving and I had to build an enclosure around the WSM. ;)

I guess I am a cheater as when it's bad out I use my garage queen inside the garage
No, that's called being smart. ;)

I have a detached 2-car garage that's dedicated to grilling, smoking, and dead lawnmowers. Weather's usually no issue, although on a hot summer day it can get pretty brutal in there if I'm cooking for any length of time.

No, that's called being smart. ;)

I have a detached 2-car garage that's dedicated to grilling, smoking, and dead lawnmowers. Weather's usually no issue, although on a hot summer day it can get pretty brutal in there if I'm cooking for any length of time.

That's called a Grill Garage. lol. Someday I will have one too. But, for now I'll settle for my covered patio. It's a huge help for grilling year round and I will never have at least a covered patio for grilling.

This is a pic from last summer... My grills have changed quite a bit since then but you can see the patio cover

1591388474913.png

This is my current setup of grills. You can also see how long the patio cover is with the firepit at the other end. Absolutely love my patio.

1591388571631.png

On this Mammoth Mountain / June Mountain ski / snowboard trip.

Hiding in the best spot we could find at Canyon Lodge, we had 55mph winds and had to wear our helmets, goggles and gloves
to stay warm. Me getting the Teriyaki Salmon ready for the Weber Q grill. Others brought Carne asada and burgers and we made the best of it.

IMG_3084.JPG

Let's just say, I am proud of all of you. Chris, is there a Medal of Honor or such for them. They are true dedicated grillers.
Joan, I was
On this Mammoth Mountain / June Mountain ski / snowboard trip.

Hiding in the best spot we could find at Canyon Lodge, we had 55mph winds and had to wear our helmets, goggles and gloves
to stay warm. Me getting the Teriyaki Salmon ready for the Weber Q grill. Others brought Carne asada and burgers and we made the best of it.

View attachment 6366
That is a great pic, is the salmon and Marinade frozen? 😂

Back