What's the craziest weather you're ever grilled in?

Was that around the time when the Bears had the parade downtown.?
I remember that cold stretch, off of work because it was too cold to work outside.
I was working by the Fox valley mall, it was closer to - 40 out this way.

Tim
Close. It was that period from early 80's to 86 and a few bad seasons in the early 90's
The bears playoffs and superbowl was the end of 85 and early 86. Very cold periods with the lake sending clouds 100 feet into the air. Younger I could take the -20's but that was extreme.

On my deck during S.S. Sandy did 2lbs of pasta and half a dozen flat iron steaks with 4’ of water in first floor of high ranch

I smoked a 40lbs pot bellied pig during a flood while camping at a WMA for a 3 day deer hunt, every thing we had to wear was soaked, but the pig turned out great lol. We couldn't go back the way we went in due to high water over the bridge, the detour cost about 50 miles more driving. I was down to my last pair of dry socks that sunday morning and my brotherinlaw let a big ol fart and ran us all out of the camper, no time to grab shoes wet feet again.

Late February snow storm. We usually just get a lite dusting when it snows here and in the 20 years we have lived here we have never seen the temperature get into single digits.
The pups thought it was fun though.

100_4440.JPG

100_4454.JPG

100_4457.JPG

Ya Harvey was a memorable one but I would have to say every Texas summer with 90%+ humidity and over 100* F. I always think last summer was the worst until July hits. Although the best weather is being able to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving dinner in shorts and flip flops!

Left Michigan in 1973 and aint been back since, most of the time Tn has great weather, cept the blizzard in 93. A carport has been my blessing these last 4 years or so. covered on the west side and the south end.

Pretty much any winter here in SW Lower Michigan. The polar vortex was a challenge but, I did do a pork loin when logs were trying to crawl into the fireplace!View attachment 6313

It was -15 that week! Talk about weird timing problems!

You call that snow?

7DB7A61B-A8E1-41F9-B711-593E5B01E8B5.jpeg

That was taken mid February 2019. It started snowing the 2nd week of January. By mid March we had 7 days of dry weather and that did not mean sunshine!

Still I kept my small corner of the deck shoveled just to get to the grill.

This before I was able to get my genesis on the deck.

Bob, I love it. Did you build that? What a great picture.
No, it was built by the previous owner of the villa my wife and I bought. On the right (with the fire) was a great pizza oven and there was a grill on the left side (filled with wood in the picture). The oven took a lot of wood and a good deal of time to heat it up enough for pizza. Most times I used it as an oven. I used the grill side for conventional grilling, cooking steaks, etc. But I also built a rotisserie which mounted to the outside face of the grill with a drip pan on the sill. The grill had a fire box which I could raise about half way up so that the fire was almost even in height with the spit. In other words, rather than a rotisserie above a fire, this one had the fire in back of the spit so that all the heat was via radiation and very little via convection. It worked great. We lived there for 6 years and we certainly miss our Italian villa.

I always describe myself as an”extreme barbequer”. BBQ anywhere between 0 to 110 Degrees. Snow only 2 feet or so. Not the worst weather but enuf and, besides, that’s what the remote thermometers are for.

You call that snow?

That was taken mid February 2019. It started snowing the 2nd week of January. By mid March we had 7 days of dry weather and that did not mean sunshine!

Still I kept my small corner of the deck shoveled just to get to the grill.

This before I was able to get my genesis on the deck.

Almost looks like Mammoth.... ;)

Back