Whats the best thing you learned in 2009?

Russ Turner

TVWBB Member
I was preparing my grill and brisket tonight, for an early morning kickoff.

While foiling my water pan, I thought to myself, this is such a great idea! I've learned a lot in the last couple weeks on the forum, but foiling the pan is one of my favorites.

So, I was wondering, what's the best thing you learned about your smoker or smoking in 2009 or recently?

Russ

Closing all vents when it reaches 200 or so, creeps up and cruises at 250 all day after that. After 5 years something finally sunk in...lol.

I do not claim to, or do know it all, but these days, learning new things on cooks are few and far between for me. That said, I can count on my WSM to cook great food. Whether I'm using it as a grill or a smoker, it just hammers out great food each and every time, even if I don't have my A game on (hangovers).
icon_rolleyes.gif
I just love my little smoker that could.
icon_cool.gif

How to make ABT's by far is the best thing I learned, and using maple bacon and wrapping in biscuit dough made them even better! Looking forward to making brisket for the first time this year. Hopefully it will turn out well!

I too am with bryan, the versatility of the wsm is just great, I didnt know that cold smoking cheese could taste so so good. and the thrill I get when a new member expresses how their first cook went. it still makes me smile, as I look back and remember when I did mine years ago. all the questions and the trial and error.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I learned the importance of a good thermometer either instant or digital.

Especially for cooking chicken, i have concluded that I have been over cooking chicken all my life.

I learned consistency.
All due to this site. (Thanks Chris A!)

I've grillled, smoked meats, and barbecued for many years, and it was still hit or miss at being top notch.
Usually good, but not always great.

Of course buying Webers was a huge help too!

I have learned that a22" WSM uses more fuel both charcoal and beer, more beer than charcoal for sure. How did I get this far in life without my WSM?
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2010

this site compliments my WSM and everything I put on it.
Thank you Chris Allingham and everyone here with answers to my ridiculous questions.

I learned how to BBQ and grill with charcoal. I also learned I wasted a lot of money on a new gas grill before I bought my Webers.

The best things I've learned.
1.Should have bought a WSM along time ago.
2.The great people on this web site that will help you out.
3.That this web site costs money, that I forgot to send.( checks on the way Chris).
4.I could go on and on about the things I've learned but I better stop and start BBQing.
icon_smile.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Learned a lot in 2009 from this forum. The best for me is the foiled water pan with just a couple of foil lined bricks. No water = No mess!

Originally posted by Derek Yoder:
How to make ABT's by far is the best thing I learned, and using maple bacon and wrapping in biscuit dough made them even better! Looking forward to making brisket for the first time this year. Hopefully it will turn out well!

You must have seen my thread! I'm gratefull for all of you. Some for the advise and others for the laughs. Merry new year!

i think y'all summed it up. I think the best thing I've learned is how to utilize my wsm to get my desired results. Cheers to this forum.

Foiling to finish!
icon_razz.gif
This year I learned that double-foiling with 1/4 cup apple juice/white wine is a great way to finish butts and briskets once they have reached 165* internal. Also a great way to catch up if you're up against a time constraint... once foiled, finish in the oven @325*. Works for ribs too. Tender, moist, smokey meat every time
icon_razz.gif
Thanks to this forum, we can all learn and adapt from the experiences of other members of this fine WSM fraternity...smokin' is not a destination; it's a journey
icon_wink.gif

Back