Whats the best thing you learned in 2009?

Originally posted by JimK:
I learned that my gasser makes a great paperweight.
icon_razz.gif

hilarious....
icon_smile.gif

or a good wind screen for the WSM, as my GOSM is being used for nowdays.

After many years of trial and error, I have finally figured out how to cook ribs that are not tough or chewy or not over cooked. All thanks to my WSM and this website.

Originally posted by Bill S.:
Closing all vents when it reaches 200 or so, creeps up and cruises at 250 all day after that. After 5 years something finally sunk in...lol.

Wait a second...I did not about this. Closing all three bottom vents? Or ALL vents? This actually works?

I learned in two basic cooks (one with a round roast........the other with chickens and games hens), that I've been using the wrong tool for years. The WSM rocks........now that I know that, the rest will be easy!

I also learned that an old dog can learn new tricks.....thanks to the help of this website.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek Yoder:
Looking forward to making brisket for the first time this year. Hopefully it will turn out well!
Derek, Here's a link to the original High Heat Brisket Thread. If you cook your brisket like this, it will come out great.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

High Heat briskie!!! Thanks to Bryan S and Kevin K

I've never done a slow one... but now... why would I?

Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
...smokin' is not a destination; it's a journey
icon_wink.gif

I'm with Ron. 2009 has definitely been a leap forward in my journey. 2010 is already off to a great start with great food.

Brett

I learned that I was living in a dark and tasteless world until I found this site and got my WSM in 2009. Thanks to all!

To buy a WSM and give my Brinkman to my brother.

The stuff I have cooked with the WSM, based mainly on tips learned here, far surpasses any BBQ I ever made before.

Ribs, chicken, brisket, turkey, pork (ahhh, the pulled pork!!) have all been great. And I just got started with the WSM this fall.

Thanks for the help.

The best thing I learned about BBQ in 2009 was (from this forum, natch) how to get bite-through skin on my chicken thighs.

I also learned (courtesy of Harry Soo) that a regular guy with a couple of 18.5" WSMs can in fact win KCBS competitions.

Which brings me to my BBQ goal for 2010: I hope to have some tiny bit of success in a KCBS competition in 2010!

Tough to narrow it down... I'd have to say my favorite is the technique of leaving your steak out to come up to room temperature 1 hour before cooking, then salting it 15 minutes before cooking, rinsing, and seasoning with pepper, then grilling it to perfection.

The USDA Prime sirloins I made this year have been the best steaks of my life.

We bought a horizontal smoker (Char Griller) in 2009 and enjoyed using it all spring/summer/fall. It is a decent smoker and is an excellent grill for charcoal with the big surface area. But it does require a little more babysitting then i'd like. On a windy day it was such a pain to get temps to be anywhere close to stable. And because its so big, you can't just move it under the deck or the other side of the house.

So what I learned in 2009 is I should have gone with my original gut feeling and the input from others and just buy the WSM. I now have one on the way and can't wait to show my GF (the usual cook at the house) how much better this smoker will be.

Originally posted by Eric Simon:
The best thing I learned about BBQ in 2009 was (from this forum, natch) how to get bite-through skin on my chicken thighs.

I'd like to know where I can find this info. I love thighs and my GF loves crispy skin on her chicken.

WE like chicken thighs done the way you described and have found 2 ways to do it: Cookem indirect on the Performer... crisping the skin, as desired, with direct heat at the end
icon_smile.gif
or Smokum on the WSM and crisp em at the end by removing the center section and placing the grate and thighs directly on the charcoal ring
icon_wink.gif

I learned why people love weber. I got a ep-320 late summer and then a performer for Christmas.

I learned what a WSM is. FOund one used, bought it and smoked with it. I had no idea how great a smoker it is. meanwhile my cabinet smoker is a shelf in my garage now.

I learned never to put my WSM and associated items in our bedroom closet, and to never take my wifes shoes, hundreds of them, out of aformentioned closet, and put them in the garage.

What i've learned can fall into a few categories.

THE GOOD
- Roadside chicken is a HUGE hit around here. Talk about a quick and easy crowd pleaser.
- High heat brisket. 2 down and both were great

THE BAD
- I have a smoke wood accumulation problem. I think i have enough for the next 8 yrs already.

THE UGLY
- ALWAYS test your thermometers before a long cook. Finding out my lid was off about 40 degrees when i was cooking for a work potluck was NOT good. All came out well, but I wasn't in bed until 3am and back up at 6am to pull them before work!

Back