What's Schmokin'/Cookin' This Weekend?

Bill Hays

TVWBB Platinum Member
Well, Fall is here and it's raining cats and dogs (bring in on, PETA) and I'm down to my last package of pulled pork in the freezer. It's only in the 40's and the wind is holding off for the time being sooooo .. time to cook up 4 butts. Bought four 8+ pounders at Wegman's this morning ($.99/lb) and they're going on the WSM in a bit over Kingsford Original with sugar maple for smoke, rubbed with Texas BBQ Rub Brisket Blend.

What's schmokin'/cookin' at your house this weekend?

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Well, Fall is here and it's raining cats and dogs (bring in on, PETA) and I'm down to my last package of pulled pork in the freezer. It's only in the 40's and the wind is holding off for the time being sooooo .. time to cook up 4 butts. Bought four 8+ pounders at Wegman's this morning ($.99/lb) and they're going on the WSM in a bit over Kingsford Original with sugar maple for smoke, rubbed with Texas BBQ Rub Brisket Blend.

What's schmokin'/cookin' at your house this weekend?

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tonight, spatchcock chicken, after that, not sure!!! Take pic's Bill!!!!!

Got a half a brisket that jumped out of the freezer the other day! Next week,some of the missus co-workers are coming over for PP.

Well, Fall is here and it's raining cats and dogs

Just be careful not to step in the poodles
icon_smile.gif

We had our first snow today.

I was planning to do babybacks, but my wife bought bellies by mistake. No long smokes for me this weekend - I just bought some salmon, so I'll smoke that.

-Mark.

Just headed out the door for San Francisco, so driving over the weekend. Made up for it last night though. Did a combo cook (very rare for me): 4.5-pound chuck hunk (rubbed with onion, garlic, marjoram, white pepper, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, clove) on the top rack next to a 3-pound butt hunk (onion, Aleppo, garlic, white pepper, thyme, marjoram, sugar, cinnamon, allspice); below, a dozen skinless chicken thighs (garlic, onion, Aleppo, thyme, sage, white pepper). MM'd the start.

At ~ the 1:45 mark I brought all inside. I potted the chuck (with white wine, a little cognac vin, lots of sliced onion, a pound of whole mushrooms, several cloves of smashed garlic, and a few ribs of celery, thinly sliced); I foiled the thigh meat after pulling it off the bones in large chunks (with 4 heads of roasted garlic, squished out, onion, roasted red peppers, and a drizzle of pom molasses); and foiled the butt (with finely chopped tomato, chopped roasted banana peppers, dried mango) and returned all to the cooker to finish. When each was done I removed the meat and puréed the liquids and solids to form a sauce. The chicken which we had for dinner over kale stewed with onion, garlic, Aleppo and butter, I left in large chunks. The pork and beef, both destined for the freezer, I shredded/chopped, mixing all with their respective sauces. Good stuff - but I forgot to bring any of it with me for my trip!

I'm not cooking anything. I'm driving to VA this weekend so I can paint Larry's kettle pink. While I'm there, I'm going to toss a skunk on his grill, light a full chimney of lump beneathe it, open the vents full, then weld the kettle shut. After that, I'll ring his doorbell and run.

By the time I get home, I figure I might have time to do some dogs and burgers.

Decided to go with Wild since I didn't have enough Brisket Blend for 4 butts .. Besides, haven't tried the Wild yet.

Butt's went on at 6:15 EDT with 5 small chunks of sugar maple. Starting out at 240º until the butts get close to the plateau, then will drop temp to @220º for the night. Depending on internal temp in the am, will go from there.

Oh yeah .. 2 half pans of beans will go on when these come off for their rest.

Bill

IMG_20091002_05480ae.jpg

IMG_20091002_05487ae.jpg

Starting a chuck roll half tonight, 12 lbs, rubbed with WRB. Hickory and apple for wood. Some for the office and some for the freezer. Chicken for football Sunday. (You hear that Ray Lewis?). Going to be a test. At least the weather Sunday is supposed to be good, and the Pats are at home which always helps.

Mercy Bill!!

Thanks for taking up my slack.
I won't have a chance to smoke or to grill anything this weekend
icon_frown.gif

Brisket, butts, ribs, chicken. I just finished packing up. I'm heading for the American Royal contest in the morning. I've got my new 22 inch bullet for the chicken. I might do an all-nighter on it with a brisket and a butt. I've been loading one chimney of lump in the bottom and grilling the chicken without the water pan. Grate temp is around 370 to 400. Maybe I'll take the camera this time.

Pics, Dave
icon_wink.gif
And the Bill's would have won that game had it not been for that stupid **** McKelvin.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_wink.gif

Thanks, Bob and Jim. Nice lookin' ribs, Jim !
icon_cool.gif

Go Dave !! Good luck this weekend!
icon_smile.gif

Well, was just outside .. Temperature has risen to the mid 50's .. Pit temp holding steady at 240º (Thanks BBQ Guru) and the butts are at 107º, 3 hours in. Gawd, it smells great out there, and the almost full moon is now shining. Rain has moved out for a while.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
And the Bill's would have won that game had it not been for that stupid **** McKelvin.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_wink.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif
No question about it. That was horrid for Bills fans. They gave it away on that fumble. However, I think the Pats will get better as the season goes along, but the Bills are still a bad team without a QB, and they have already suffered key injuries. Three players could vastly improve the Bills, Bruce Smith, Joe Cribbs and Jack Kemp.
icon_smile.gif

We're off and running;
Chuckroll12lb003.jpg

Chuckroll12lb002.jpg

Chuckroll12lb004.jpg

Nice Bill, and all.

It's supposed to snow here, but I'm making sourdough bagels and smoking butts on Sunday and smoking Montreal Smoked Meat on Monday.

I've got 4 pork butts, rubbed with Reknowned Mr. Brown, on my newer 18.5" WSM. I was hoping to get them on at 11pm Friday, but overslept. It's 3:30am CST now and the lid temp is 200. A local grocery store near me, Berkots, had halves of butts in their meat section for $.99/lb. I figured they must get them in the 2-pack cryovacs, so I asked; the guy brought me out 2 packs totaling about 35 lbs. I made a batch of Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce on Thursday and it's sitting in the fridge.

I've tried so many rub and sauce recipes from this website and others, but I still can't get over how good the 2 recipes I'm using are. Everytime I try a different rub or sauce recipe, I always regret not using my old standbys.

- Chris

The butts and chucks are outrageous!!!! Man, we gotta good day of pic's coming!!!! Bill, Dave and Jim, you guys are off to killer starts!!!

Shawn, please post pic's of the bagels and Montreal beef!! Gosh I'd love to be able to make bagels.......

I'm off to drive up and down Skyline drive with the family to look at the foilage, not sure what's cooking tonight, wife mentioned something about crab legs.....
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I'm off to drive up and down Skyline drive with the family to look at the foilage, not sure what's cooking tonight, wife mentioned something about crab legs.....
icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe I'll see you out there. Off to camp in a few hours.

Back