What's cooking this weekend?

Finally a day without rain- I spent the day working on my truck, but had time to spin a top round

IMG_6833.jpeg

Oven roasted parsnips and white turnips made a nice accompaniment.

I’m exhausted…it suck$ getting old…

I did three things today for the first time. None of them were 100 percent successful, but it made for a fun and relaxing afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the final product, but you'll have to trust me that we had burgers for dinner. :LOL:

#1 - Made hamburger buns from scratch. They ended up looking like slider buns since the dough contracted after I cut them into pucks. Tasted really good though. I should have let my wife help since she's the bread maker in the family, but I wanted to give it a try on my own.
PXL_20231001_222545996.jpg

#2 - I broke out my meat grinder attachment for my KA mixer for the first time. I got it as a gift for Christmas last year but I never remember that I have it. It worked better than expected, but next time I might run it through a second time with the smaller die (or just run it through once with the smaller die to begin with). I just went with a couple of chuck roasts from Costco (5# total weight). The patties were 5.0-5.2 oz each. I cooked up 10 of them and vacuum-sealed and froze the other 6 for another day.
PXL_20231001_224317879.jpg
PXL_20231001_230026934.jpg

#3 - I also got a SS griddle for my Genesis for Christmas too. I'm a little lukewarm on this after today. Perhaps I overloaded it, but it really didn't hold the heat very well, and I'm not looking forward to cleaning it up. In the future, I'm just going to cook them on the grates like I usually do. After I preheated the griddle, I put a little pat of brisket tallow on it before adding the patties.
PXL_20231001_230213501.jpg
PXL_20231001_234609499.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed the process of it all today, and the burgers were very good. Wish I had more days like today to spend time preparing food from scratch.

First off good job you got the metal grinder. The hub constantly breaks on the cheaper plastic one. I still have my mom's old Hobart made all metal one.
Tip on the die. I typically will use the coarse die but run it twice through. Chill it well before each grind BTW. The fine die makes the meat more like a meat "paste". It's not bad for sausage though.

2 pork tenderloins on Big Z Simple S&P seasoning only. Never did pork tenderloins on the smokers so Just giving this a roll
Well I discovered something (another thing I am unsuccessful with). One was chuck roast on the smoker, now pork tenderloin. Things were really promising. I had good smoke, good color, not over cooked. I guess they don't like a slower cook. Texture was totally off putting to me. "rubbery". Flavor? MEH.
I don't think I will try them again like this. From now on if I want that, it will be marinated then hot and fast on the Wolf especially or at the least the Q.
I expected better as beef tenderloin (2" thick filet mignon) was to die for. I expected piggy to work at least as well. Likely gonna just toss what's left.
I did them this way out of convenience as much as curiosity. I was trying to get yard work outta the way, (cutting the back 40, getting out the boom sprayer and getting down my fertilizer and iron supplement), then having to clean out the sprayer, flush the pump. All that fun stuff.
So I did a L&S with a nice long rest. Bleh just bleh on this method for tenderloin.
In retrospect. Had I marinated them while I was doing the work, uncovered the Wolf and moved it into cooking position on the deck. I would have STILL had supper done and not made two rubbery things that tasted poorly.
Not making that mistake again
Also what are all the regular grill posts doing in the pellet thread? I guess it's another of that going off trail thing again :D

Well I discovered something (another thing I am unsuccessful with). One was chuck roast on the smoker, now pork tenderloin. Things were really promising. I had good smoke, good color, not over cooked. I guess they don't like a slower cook. Texture was totally off putting to me. "rubbery". Flavor? MEH.
I don't think I will try them again like this. From now on if I want that, it will be marinated then hot and fast on the Wolf especially or at the least the Q.
I expected better as beef tenderloin (2" thick filet mignon) was to die for. I expected piggy to work at least as well. Likely gonna just toss what's left.
I did them this way out of convenience as much as curiosity. I was trying to get yard work outta the way, (cutting the back 40, getting out the boom sprayer and getting down my fertilizer and iron supplement), then having to clean out the sprayer, flush the pump. All that fun stuff.
So I did a L&S with a nice long rest. Bleh just bleh on this method for tenderloin.
In retrospect. Had I marinated them while I was doing the work, uncovered the Wolf and moved it into cooking position on the deck. I would have STILL had supper done and not made two rubbery things that tasted poorly.
Not making that mistake again
Also what are all the regular grill posts doing in the pellet thread? I guess it's another of that going off trail thing again :D
Sorry, my bad. Didn't realize this was in the SmokeFire subforum. I thought it was a general "look what I cooked on my Weber" thread. :)

Thanks for the heads up Larry. I have to remember to pay attention to that.

First off good job you got the metal grinder. The hub constantly breaks on the cheaper plastic one. I still have my mom's old Hobart made all metal one.
Tip on the die. I typically will use the coarse die but run it twice through. Chill it well before each grind BTW. The fine die makes the meat more like a meat "paste". It's not bad for sausage though.
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I've got 4 dies - a kidney shaped one and then large, medium, and small holes. I'll try two passes on the large one next time.

Unfortunately not a metal grinder. I decided to go with a cheaper one (with good reviews) to see if I liked it first. So far so good. It made it through 5# without breaking. I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to replace it.

Sorry, my bad. Didn't realize this was in the SmokeFire subforum. I thought it was a general "look what I cooked on my Weber" thread. :)

Thanks for the heads up Larry. I have to remember to pay attention to that.
Don’t sweat it. We talk a lot about things other than what the forum name says. Yours is no different than the others. Good cook.

I bought a rack of pork last week and yesterday it went on the WSC.

Marinated with olive oil, fresh chopped rosemary and thyme.

Very easy cook.

View attachment 83861

Served with roasted turnips and creamed sauerkraut.

Very good.

View attachment 83862
Oh darn that looks good!. I broke down. I have one of those from Costco in the fridge. IDK if maybe I will cut a double off and get that on the Member's Mark OR if I want to take out a smaller pack of those oxtails I have and put those on. Decisions decisions

Oh darn that looks good!. I broke down. I have one of those from Costco in the fridge. IDK if maybe I will cut a double off and get that on the Member's Mark OR if I want to take out a smaller pack of those oxtails I have and put those on. Decisions decisions
First time for me grilling this type of pork.

I followed the directions from the book that came with the grill and it was very easy.

IMG_7177.jpeg

Back