What you cooking for the Fourth of July Weekend?

Was hoping to break out the Santa Maria but the way early afternoon winds have been lately decided to switch to plan B. Will do a slab of Texas style spares and some ABTs on the pellet pooper with a smoke tube added and a rotisserie chicken over an open fire in the Jumbo Joe 22". Made up some tater salad Thursday and have some garlic crusted French bread.

Finally decided what to cook tomorrow. Will post on the PORK thread.

Is everyone else ready for the BIG DAY?

The Giants Game is not looking good, but it started off nice enough
xfwpOM7.jpg

9LBS Butt going on
Sorry, Chuck. Just had to cut to the pic that struck home. Many years ago when I was a wee child (well, not that young, but during my Air Force years), for the Super Bowl (1972, I believe), I brought my heavy 19" tube tv on a bunch of extension cords out past the driveway of our apartment building, invited all the neighbors and sat on lawn chairs bundled up in coats ant scarfs and watched the game together. We weren't doing Q back then but chips and whatever the wives volunteered and beer and bottles and had one of the best memory producers ever. Thanks for bringing that back!

Well, it took SIX stores - 3 markets, 2 butcher SHOPS & 1 Asian market - these are the best beef ribs I could find.
I should have taken Brett-Ed's advice - I saw a Birria taco truck when I was out!
If you are anywhere near Thousand Oaks, Laguna Nigel or Mission Viejo, check out one of the Wild Fork Foods stores.....I get mine shipped from them, always top notch quality, and I'd be thrilled if I could wander through a brick/mortar store! :)

Those ribs will turn out fine!!! :)

R

Last night's dinner was a "Shrimp Boil Sheet Pan Grill" with shrimp, sausage, corn, multi-colored small potatoes, onion, red pepper, butter and olive oil, a homemade "Cajun spice", and whatever else my partner put into it. (In addition to the Cajun spice, it also includes "Old Bay Seasoning", which we bought especially for this dish during the last grocery trip.) We grilled a couple of lemons at the end of the cook time, and sprinkled fresh basil on top to serve. Cook time was 15-20 minutes at 400 F on the grill lid thermometer.

It was my partner's project, not mine. I operated the grill and cooked the food under her tutelage. The food was very tasty. The after dinner movie was "The Music Man".

Lesson learned:
I don't like those small, weird, dark colored potatoes very much, especially the ones that are dark purple inside. Excuse me, pass the ordinary brown Russets over here, please. :)

Tonight, 4th of July:
Steak, try cooking Keri's baked beans for the first time, and there is a blueberry/cherry pie in the oven as I type this. Gotta stay home to make sure the neighbors do not accidentally burn down our house. Movie tonight: Yankee Doodle Dandy, of course. It is a 4th of July tradition in our home.

Shrimp Boil on the Grill.JPG

Shrimp Boil on the Table.JPG

Shrimp Boil Closeup.JPG

Last edited:
Last night's dinner was a "Shrimp Boil Sheet Pan Grill" with shrimp, sausage, corn, multi-colored small potatoes, onion, red pepper, butter and olive oil, a homemade "Cajun spice", and whatever else my partner put into it. (In addition to the Cajun spice, it also includes "Old Bay Seasoning", which we bought especially for this dish during the last grocery trip.) We grilled a couple of lemons at the end of the cook time, and sprinkled fresh basil on top to serve. Cook time was 15-20 minutes at 400 F on the grill lid thermometer.

It was my partner's project, not mine. I operated the grill and cooked the food under her tutelage. The food was very tasty. The after dinner movie was "The Music Man".

Lesson learned:
I don't like those small, weird, dark colored potatoes very much, especially the ones that are dark purple inside. Excuse me, pass the ordinary brown Russets over here, please. :)

Tonight, 4th of July:
Steak, try cooking Keri's baked beans for the first time, and there is a blueberry/cherry pie in the oven as I type this. Gotta stay home to make sure the neighbors do not accidentally burn down our house. Movie tonight: Yankee Doodle Dandy, of course. It is a 4th of July tradition in our home.

View attachment 54461

View attachment 54462

View attachment 54464
That looks great! I like the idea of cooking it that way. I love a good low country boil, but it's a hassle to get out the big pot, burner, misc equip, etc.
Definitely with you on the potatoes. I made that mistake once too. I'll stick with small red potatoes for a boil and russets for everything else.

The wife and I are having KFC chicken, country style pork ribs, baked sweet potatoes, sweet corn on the grill, and then a bowl of watermelon for dessert.
I think it will be a great day a little mid 90s but still a great day to spend with my best freind of 46 years.

Attachments

• 20220704_134649.jpg
    20220704_134649.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220704_134640.jpg
    20220704_134640.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220704_134637.jpg
    20220704_134637.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 2

Back