What you cooking for the Fourth of July Weekend?

@Michael Richards , I owe you sincere thanks! I knew Monday is the 4th but somehow it didn't register on my brain. Cook? Oh!! So now what? I have a rib rack in the freezer, but need to talk with my sweeter half to even think about what to have. Possibly just cop out and fix something easy and fast like burgers. That's acceptable on the 4th, right? Especially some really NICE burgers!

Working Saturday and hope to be home before midnight lol , smoked pork loin and a few chickens sunday, baked beans with sausage might set under the loin to soak up some flavor, peach cobbler maybe some corn on the cob, I might need to take extra diabetes meds lol Monday maybe a steak if we can find 2 under $30

Just made a fuel run to Costco and decided I’d brave the joint and grabbed some very nice looking choice strip steaks so, those will likely be Monday’s dinner with some leftover beans (if there are any) and potato salad (same rule applies)

Last edited:
Well in my case we have Canada day......which is tomorrow.....it's a Friday off work.
Happy 4rth to all of you.....also nice as it is the Monday off work I would assume.

For Friday........................
I had the MRS go collect everything I need from the grocery outlets to make flank steak tacos.
I have about 9 flanks in the freezer so going to find a nice one.
Do my citrus / tequila marinade for 4 hours..........
Going to also fire roast garlic, tomatillos, onions, lime, a couple roma tomatoes ( less juicy ) and all the other peppers I am hoping she could find and make a nice verde or verde / red salsa combo...........not sure yet, not sure I can trust the tomatillos. Also I am not stuck on being super authentic.....I get that at my Mexican restaurants and it is very good.....I just try to make it taste very good.
Also fresh avocados.....................gauc is going to be happening........
Fresh gauc and fresh salsa really brighten up the taco experience.
No dried chilis were available apparently, so no rehydration fun.
Steak, salsa and onion......this is a great taco.......gauc goes great on the side.

Saturday is either going to be Cubano sammies or I am going to give my first E6 pizza a go..................we will see........I am always nervous the first time......just have to have faith in the temperatures. Decide on what I am doing.......stick with it and make it the best I can. Then the fun starts, making small changes to make it better every time.
I have lots of ingredients to pick from already as well as dough is ready to be made and I have a couple really nice canned sauces.
I would normally make my own sauce but there are a few out there that are amazing.

Sunday...................................................................................................................................................
Seriously depends on how much partying there is......too much 40%, 5% or even 12% really slows someone down on a Sunday.
If I can keep it straight then I might get to sneak that Cubano in there too...........
Can I come? Sounds perfect!!

We will have a full house for near a week.
I am playing host and cook.
For the 4th I’m doing a brisket.
For the other days I’m gonna do a bunch of better than average (for me anyway) dinners.
Crab season starts in a few hours so there will be a bunch of that.
I made a trap for octopus so I’m doing that a few different ways.

Lots of red meat and fish stuff on the menu here.

Ok, just shelve anything I said above. With some pondering I remembered the thought I had a couple of weeks ago when expressing envy over someone else's meatloaf -- how about chorizo meatloaf? Well, my first thought was I'll probably have to invent a recipe, but a simple search netted many. After reading five, one stood out. Food Network has a Mexican Chorizo Meatloaf that looks right for me -- with some minor changes. Now the decision is whether to use their topping sauce or the "taco sauce" I have stored in the freezer -- right now that's winning out since it was SO good.

So July 5 will be smoker day. My wife with her alpha-gal had a different request -- shrimp. That I'll do on her not-meat-contaminated Q. Since I'll have the smoker going, I do some wings in the same session (hers on the Q) and likely some twice-baked potatoes (that's a challenge for alpha-gal). For me, there will be some smoked jalapeno and maybe stuff some of the small sweet peppers that she can eat for the Q -- maybe with chicken bacon and turkey sausage, etc.

I have some more thinking and planning to do for all this, but for now I'm off for research on possible smoking some excellent pre-made pork tamales. (Smoker session -- take advantage.)

Back