What was your favorite recipe or cook of summer 2021?

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
My kids are back in school, my wife is back on campus, fall soccer is in full swing, and Labor day is Monday, for me these are the signs summer is ended and fall is here. My backyard BBQing goal for summer 2021 was to try a bunch of new recipes using new (to me) cooking methods, using new ingredients, and just trying things I have never done. This was mostly a huge success, with one epic fail in there. Some of the highlights of the summer where Filipino Pork Skewers, flanken style beef ribs, homemade ramen, smoked carnitas, smash burgers with bacon jam, and tacos al pastor.

When I was responded to a post this morning in the Photo Section, I stated that one of these above recipes was my "vote for recipe of summer 2021!" That statement led me to creating this post. The recipe I made that statement was for smoked Carnitas. I followed the lead of Rich G. and this recipe and I made it three times, the first was a great birthday gift to myself, the second an epic fail, and the third is the link below.

https://tvwbb.com/threads/the-smell-of-sweet-redemption-it-smells-a-lot-like-pork.87752/

The Carnitas was my family's favorite cook of the summer hands down and it does win for me too, but a close close second are the flanken style beef ribs with this amazing homemade rub that has become my favorite beef cook! Here is the first time I made them. I have made them two more times since, I love this cook!

So as we open the door of fall, what gets your vote for your favorite recipe, or cook, or back yard bbq experience or memory of Summer 2021?

P.S. Joan you can choose at least two, I did...

This is an interesting thread, some of the fun is seeing the looks on people’s faces, the laughter when family was finally able to really get together! One was the first time a former in-law realized that just because the two of them couldn’t be together we all still liked him! After not seeing him for almost ten years, we had two big feasts!
The first was a side of salmon...
BEFC1AF5-9D6F-4E80-9E51-F6D55B49AE43.jpeg
With risotto, green beans and squash
And the second was a pork loin, “Scotta Ditta” French “Epi” bread Irish butter and, all kinds of other goodies...
00F9C6F3-CF3F-4306-AC9B-90EA8B4B0CAE.jpeg
Those were two really fun grilling feasts!

"P.S. Joan you can choose at least two, I did..." - Thanks Michael lol

Great thread. Sorry to say we did not have any food get together's this summer. But, since I do keep a list every month of Hits & Misses that we cook, it should be easy to post some of our favorites.

Well, at least my favorite (lol) https://tvwbb.com/threads/grilled-shrimp-with-smooth-mango-lime-vinaigrette.86929/ I gave it an "EXCELLANT" rating.

Will have to check DH's favorite, back later.

This is a really challenging one for me, Michael! So many of the best memories for me revolve around grilling that it will be difficult to choose. As I've thought about it, I keep coming back to my new go-to Sonoran Tortilla recipe..... Why? ...because it shows up alongside a lot of the meals that I love to cook and serve. Carnitas, fish tacos, chile colorado, brisket (yes, brisket......tacos right off the carving board....oh my!), whole chicken (smoked, roasted or rotisseried), etc., etc, etc..... :)

1630429458051.png

....Since Joan got more than one, my runner-up would be Paella on the Kettle. Such a great dish to serve to friends and family, with tons of variation options.....

1630429552839.png

Some great looking pics from everybody.
I was just happy to have friends/family over or go to BBQ's at somebody's crib.
I have so many good ones, but two that we tried this year and really liked was.

Gotta be my 2 1/2 hour ribs.

Trim St. Louis style and remove membrane. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Coat with yellow mustard and then with favorite rub. (I pre salt and use one of my salt free rubs) Allow to sit for 10 minutes and then sprinkle with a moderate amount of brown sugar. Grill indirect, bone side down, for 1 1/2 hours at 300 F.
Warm 2 TBSP each butter, brown sugar, honey and 1 seeded and finely diced Jalapeno. Coat both sides of slab with
butter/honey mixture, double wrap in foil and cook, meat side down, for 45 minutes at 300 F. Unwrap, place bone
side down on grill and slather with favorite BBQ Sauce if you want. Cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes to
set sauce and rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
This recipe for average size St. Louis slabs. I recommend probing for doneness after 45 minutes
in the foil. If the probe doesn't penetrate with little or no resistance, let them cook for another 15
minutes and recheck. For very thin racks, probe at 30 minutes. Knock about 15 or 20 minutes off
of initial cook time for Baby Backs.

DH came up with at least 5 or 6 cooks from this summer that he really liked. It was hard, but if I can have a total of 3 Michael, here is what he picked. Luckily, they both have been posted here already. lol

1. PASTRAMI BURGERS - https://tvwbb.com/threads/pastrami-burgers.83485/

2. TENNESSEE T-BONE STEAK WITH WHISKEY BUTTER - https://tvwbb.com/threads/tennessee-t-bone-steak-with-whiskey-butter.79480/
Joan,
You only offered one, your DH gave two. You still have one more 😉.

Joan,
You only offered one, your DH gave two. You still have one more 😉.
Michael, IF you insist. ha ha

This is not grilled, but I just love this recipe. DH made them in July (for the 7th time). Again, already posted here, but here it is again. lol

Caramelized Chicken Wings

1 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 TB. peanut butter
1 TB. honey
2 tsp. wine vinegar
1 TB. minced garlic
12 large chicken wings, tips removed and wings cut in half at joint
1 tsp. sesame seeds, or to taste (optional)

1. In an electric skillet or a large skillet over medium heat, mix together the ingredients until smooth and the sugar has dissolved.
2. Place the wings into the sauce, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the wings are tender and the sauce has thickened, about 30 more minutes, spooning sauce over wings occasionally. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Source: allrecipes.com - 2011

My best and worst are the exact same recipe. I have been making homemade macaroni and cheese for years and tweaking the recipe each time. Usually I put it on the WSM after the protein is off and resting when we have a get together in our backyard. As a week night meal I made a batch of macaroni and cheese and put it on the WSM after adding a piece of apple wood. The macaroni was awful with a very strong smoke flavor. I made it again after a pork butt came off without adding anymore wood and it was good. I tweaked the salt, pepper, ground yellow mustard and nutmeg and made it again after a brisket came off. It was the best I ever made. A few of our guest said that they do not usually like macaroni and cheese but this one was great. I think my tweaking is now done.

What do you all think of this? How about we have a thread like this one for every month? Or every 3 months? Or..........

Back