Pastrami Burgers

BillSmith

TVWBB Pro
Looks good. I like new hamburger recipes so please try new ones and post the best recipes. You might want to go to the Food Network site and post your own review. There's only one and they gave it 2 out of 5 stars. Need to counteract it!

Joan

TVWBB All-Star
Hi Bill, thanks.
The only thing I can say is we enjoyed them. I think if we make them again, DH will make the burgers smaller. lol

You know me, I can keep burger recipes going all day long. lol

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
In case the Food Network link goes away...

Pastrami Burgers

Ingredients

• 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
  • 12 ounces good-quality pastrami, sliced
  • 2 pounds ground beef (80-20 blend)
  • 8 slices muenster cheese
  • 4 soft brioche hamburger buns, split
  • 2 kosher dill pickles, thinly sliced
  • 8 Boston lettuce leaves (about 1 small lettuce head)
  • 2 heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • Caraway coleslaw
Summary of Cooking Steps

Prepare grill for medium heat.

Place butter and garlic in large CI skillet over medium heat on grill or stovetop. Stir well, heat until garlic is fragrant, add salt and pepper to taste, then transfer to a small bowl and let cool.

Return skillet to medium heat. Add 2 TBSP canola oil then add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, 10-15 minutes. Season with salt, cook until soft and evenly brown, about 3 more minutes. Transfer onions to a plate and set aside.

Increase heat to medium high. Add 2 TBSP canola oil to skillet. Add pastrami and cook, turning a few times, until crisp, 7-8 minutes. Remove the pastrami and set aside, leaving any accumulated juices in the skillet.

Divide ground beef into 8-ounce balls packed tightly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place balls in skillet and sear 30-40 seconds, then flatten with spatula. Continue pressing with spatula and cook until burgers develop a crust on the bottom, about 2.5 minutes. Flip and cook on second side for 1 minute, basting burgers with pan fat.

Top each burger with 2 slices of cheese. Add 1 TBSP water to skillet, cover with lid, and let cheese steam/melt for 30-40 seconds. Remove lid and check meat for doneness and cheese for meltiness. When done to your liking, top burgers with crispy pastrami and set aside to rest.

Brush buns with garlic butter. Toast on grill grate until golden brown, 15 to 20 seconds. Flip and lightly toast outside of buns, another 15 seconds.

Arrange pickle slices and caramelized onions on bottom bun, add pastrami burger patty, and top with lettuce, tomato, and top bun. Assemble each burger by layering the bottom half of each bun with pickle slices and caramelized onion, then a pastrami-burger patty. Top each with lettuce, tomatoes and the top half of the bun. Serve with caraway coleslaw on the side.

Last edited: