What not to use your WSM for!

Ron Fisher

TVWBB Member
I committed an egregious act of violence against my WSM last weekend. After cooking a great 10lb port shoulder we found ourselves needing a legal campfire pit. We've had a burn ban on for over a month so i didn't want to risk up to a $14k fine just to have a fire at our big party. The beer was flowing and the mind was numbed... It really did make a nice burn barrel.. until the door knob melted along with all my door gasket and top gasket. I also lost all my "seasoning". Seems I have to buy the whole door assembly to just get a new knob. All in all not a lot of money but losing my seasoning will probably be the hardest thing to get back on.

Life goes on!

:wsm:

until the door knob melted along with all my door gasket and top gasket. I also lost all my "seasoning". Seems I have to buy the whole door assembly to just get a new knob. All in all not a lot of money but losing my seasoning will probably be the hardest thing to get back on.
Bah humbug. I melted my knob off long ago. Door knobs are over rated :)

55E61FB3-C8A6-4723-9C25-7A98839582A9_zpsxvwmudky.jpg

Scrape down the sides, get a new door. I had a runaway fire from residual fat, damn thing looked like a flame thrower. No damage but the inside had to be brushed, washed and re seasoned. All of the seasoning had burned and was flacking off. It was a mess.

What do you have in its place Chuck? I'd rather not buy the whole damn thing just for a knob either.
I just found a bolt and a couple washers. I put the nut on the outside in the unlikely event I need to open the door, but for most my cooks, the door is either fully on and close or fully off

I did try to drill the handle all the way through so that I could run a skinny bolt through the handle and maintain using it as intended, but the handle cracked. Probably as a result of so many high heat cooks I put my WSM through

Back