What is the best way to grill corn on the cob?

Thanks for sharing that, nice to read, first thing in the morning.:sick:

It's what I am trying to teach DH. When someone likes something (in my case, certain TV shows) it's not nice to knock it.

Not knocking just have an issue with the smell and taste of it to the point of being ill. I fully understand some people liking things that are awful to others. Take Brussels Sprouts. I know people that if I were to cook them within aroma distance they would lose it. Yet I love them. It is what it is

Our alternate recipe:
1. remove husks & silk
2. slice about 1/2 -1 cup mushrooms per ear
3. wrap corn, mushrooms, butter, S&P in aluminum foil
4. grill on med-high for 20 minutes turning 3 times
5. remove from grill, peel open foil and enjoy corn and mushrooms!!!

That would probably be like that Mexican corn that has the fungus growing on it. I can't recall the name of it

Years ago, after a full day of windsurfing, a group of us cooked steaks over an open fire on the beach. After dinner, one of us discovered that we forgot to cook the corn, so we just threw it on the coals and poked it around for a while. When the husks blackened, we started pulling it out of the fire and ... damn, it was the best I'd ever had. Still remember it. I must add that there was alcohol involved.

Jeff

Oh Mike, so true. I absolutely love brown butter, especially to dip my seafood in. It has such a different taste than regular butter.
Years ago, after a full day of windsurfing, a group of us cooked steaks over an open fire on the beach. After dinner, one of us discovered that we forgot to cook the corn, so we just threw it on the coals and poked it around for a while. When the husks blackened, we started pulling it out of the fire and ... damn, it was the best I'd ever had. Still remember it. I must add that there was alcohol involved.

Jeff
Man, a day of windsurfing, steaks and corn over a beach fire, friends, beer, that doesn't just sound like the best corn, but a life's best day also!

Got a dozen ears today did six husked and de-silked over a even bed of hot coals. Got a nice golden char on each ear. We all liked it better this way then last week. I am going to do the other 6 tomorrow night removing all but two layers of husk to try that way. Thanks everyone for all the great options to try, I will keep trying and reporting back.

Got a dozen ears today did six husked and de-silked over a even bed of hot coals. Got a nice golden char on each ear. We all liked it better this way then last week. I am going to do the other 6 tomorrow night removing all but two layers of husk to try that way. Thanks everyone for all the great options to try, I will keep trying and reporting back.
Did another 6 tonight with all but two layers of husk removed. It was a little harder to cook and the husk started to come off, but in the end it only added to the cook as we got char on those parts. This way was awesome too. As King George says in Hamilton, "I'm Perplexed".

We cook corn all kinds of ways. husk on, off, direct in the coals, indirect, foil wrapped slathered with butter and seasonings. Really depends on what the corn is going with. Heck sometimes we even pop it in foil on a stick over the fire!

Oh yeah and then there's going to the dark side and sous vide cooking the corn. Which also reminds me of the boiling water and cooler method. if you need a lot of corn that is hands down the best method. Put your corn in the cooler (we put a plastic bag in for easier clean up. Put sticks of butter in (1/3) stick per ear. Cover with boiling water close cooler lid. It wll be done in about 20-30 minutes, and will keep hot for a really long time, especially if you uae an Rtic or Yeti.

Have you ever boiled corn in bourbon? Opps, just checked the recipe. You don't boil the corn in the bourbon water, you soak it.

We cook corn all kinds of ways. husk on, off, direct in the coals, indirect, foil wrapped slathered with butter and seasonings. Really depends on what the corn is going with. Heck sometimes we even pop it in foil on a stick over the fire!

Oh yeah and then there's going to the dark side and sous vide cooking the corn. Which also reminds me of the boiling water and cooler method. if you need a lot of corn that is hands down the best method. Put your corn in the cooler (we put a plastic bag in for easier clean up. Put sticks of butter in (1/3) stick per ear. Cover with boiling water close cooler lid. It wll be done in about 20-30 minutes, and will keep hot for a really long time, especially if you uae an Rtic or Yeti.
Part of the journey with corn was because I have always boiled it, but like a resent post from you, I have been trying to as little cooking as possible in the house with it being so hot. The other part was getting to eat corn grilled. I think I will be like you in doing a lot of ways, but I will remember getting the water boiling and just dump that into the cooler with the corn vs. Putting the corn in the boiling water.

Have you ever boiled corn in bourbon? Opps, just checked the recipe. You don't boil the corn in the bourbon water, you soak it.
This is the recipe I am talking about. I posted it on the Side Dish thread.

Best Grilled Corn, in the Husk

1 cup Bourbon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
8 ears sweet corn in their husk

In a large heavy-bottom pot, mix the bourbon, sugar and salt into a gallon of water and bring to a boil. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, gently peel the corn husks back a few inches so you can easily remove the silk, and then replace the husks. Once the bourbon water is thoroughly cooled, add the corn in the husks and soak for at least a couple of hours, or even overnight if you are thinking ahead.

Preheat the grill to high heat. Remove the corn from the water and drain. Grill the corn in the husks, turning, until the ears are charred and blackened on the outside and the corn is tender on the inside, about 3 minutes per side. Let the corn cool a few minutes. When you can comfortably handle them, shuck the cobs and serve.

Source: "Hero Food-How Cooking with Delicious Things Can Make Us Feel Better" - Seamus Mullen - 2012

I grew up on boiled corn, added butter and salt before eating. Then had BBQ corn hooked, then got married and my wife said that corn is naturally sweet hence the name try it raw no butter,salt. Etc. I did and love it more corn flavor and less mess. I love it raw BBQ'd or boiled.

I run the unhusked corn under water, put it on a hot grill, flip it then take the husk and silk off. I'm just steaming it a little and the silk comes off so much easier than trying to remove it before cooking. I'm not trying to cook the corn, just get it warm enough to melt the butter. Butter, salt and pepper.

Olathe corn from Colorado is by far my favorite but it's only available to me for 3-4 weeks per year.

My Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) with SlowNSear Plus set for high heat(450F) for chicken and corn; HUSKLESS corn wrapped in aluminum foil(AF) cooks very close to the direct heat with turns every ten(10) minutes for approximately forty(40) minutes and then remove the AF to somewhat char the corn over direct heat for the next ten(10) minutes or so.

Last edited:

Back