What is everyone's favorite charcoal?

I used Blues Hog briquettes for the first time yesterday.
I like the fact that there wasn’t more than a minute of white smoke. They burn hot so you need to almost close your vents completely
I took the butt off at 4:00 after 12 hours and closed the vents completely. I went to remove the water pan to empty it and the cooking grate was hot to the touch and the water pan was hot. I removed the water pan and saw red coals in the charcoal chamber. I checked and all of the vents were closed 100%. This is the first time that’s happened in 11 years of using that smoker.

Picked up 2 of these today at Costco. 2 x 18# / $9.97
View attachment 36079
.97 is a price liquidation. i'll head to my local costco and buy a few bags. it cooks well, is nice and hot and has a good oak flavor. thanks for this share.

UPDATE: scored some cowboy at the $9.97 price. Local Costco has maybe 20 packs left (Folsom CA) But no TP in stock. Maybe time to move to liquid diet 😂

Thank you @Doug Selman

Last edited:
.97 is a price liquidation. i'll head to my local costco and buy a few bags. it cooks well, is nice and hot and has a good oak flavor. thanks for this share.

UPDATE: scored some cowboy at the $9.97 price. Local Costco has maybe 20 packs left (Folsom CA) But no TP in stock. Maybe time to move to liquid diet 😂

Thank you @Doug Selman
The right diet will fix that problem for you ;)

i use Kingsford Competition bricks and Jealous Devil lump exclusively. I make sure to have extra on hand.

Last edited:
I really want to try Jealous Devil but I'm having a hard time paying the Amazon price because I can't find any locally. :cry:

I just bought the last 7 bags of B & B at my local Academy Sports, $8.99/bag, I Iove hoarding charcoal!

Attachments

• B & B.JPG
    B & B.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 8

Back