What is everyone cooking this weekend?

Did a brisket, smoked chuckie, pork sausage, & Hatch peppers Tamale Pie in the DO yesterday.
The day before was grilled Brats & Kraut.
The day before that was grilled jerk chicken wings & thighs.
I forget what was the days before that.
Tonight will be grilled Red Snapper Vera Cruz.
We're having the kitchen, laundry room & adjoining bath tiled, so have been cooking outside 100% since Tuesday.
Will actually be glad to be cooking in a kitchen - should be Tues or so. The fridge is in the living room. :)
Sorry - no pix. It's been HOT (100* + every day & no ac) for the last week until today & have ended up cooking after dark most nights.

Last edited:
My son changed my plan this morning with a pork shoulder to smoke. He got half and I got half. It went for 7 hours at 250
till it hit 188F and then pulled perfectly. Used no seasonings or rubs, just a couple chunks of hickory for pure pork goodness.

I'll probably just throw something on the grill on Sunday. Unfortunately I won't be at home with my smoker. Likely cooking chicken but will still infuse with some smoke.

I have heard that alder wood is the best for cooking salmon. I bought some alder wood planks and plan to try them out this weekend. I have always used cedar planks it the past. I bought 30 alder wood planks (seconds) for $24.99, including shipping.

Good for you Kim!
Yes, alder is excellent for smoking fish.
Although I do not, I know of a joint northwest of Milwaukee (Karl's Country Market) that'll smoke your fish for you at the cost of 2 bucks a pound...
and that sounds like a deal to me. I have tasted fish smoked from there and they do use alder.
Let me tell ya all it was the BEST smoked fish I have ever tasted!

Kim, good luck with your weekend smoke!!

Probably considered sacrilege here, but my first run on my WSM will be using the 'grill mode' for burgers (as requested by family).

I will be making a run to my favorite butcher shop later next week - my plan is to get a nice pork butt and smoke that next weekend for pulled pork.

We had some leftover pulled smoked chuck roast in the freezer last week, and needed a quick dinner one evening when we both got home late one night, so I thawed it out and whipped up a quick batch of smoked beef posole soup. I think I took leftover posole to work for lunch at least 8 times, and just finished off the last bit of it today :)

Yesterday, I made a slow braised cuban pulled pork, with an 8 pound butt, 4 cups of fresh orange juice, 1 cup of lime juice, a good quarter cup of oregano, and 2 heads of diced garlic. It soaked up love in a 300 over for about 6 hours, and was so tender it was difficult to get out of the dutch oven. That was served on a bed of black beans & rice, with some roasted/balsamic brussels sprouts. It was an outstanding dinner! Leftover pork will make at least 3 more meals in the next week or so, and probably half will be frozen for later.

Sorry, no pictures :(

I'm not proud. I'll double post.

Turkey because it's Thanksgiving :)

Cajun%20Smoked%20Turkey_zpsoobjeh99.jpg

Back