What do you guys (and gals) use for charcoal storage?

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
Do you all store your charcoal simply in the bag they came in or do you have some sort of metal or plastic storage container?

I know the Performers have a built-in bin for charcoal, but I've never used that for charcoal because of the humidity here in Georgia.
I've seen the Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy, looks ok. I also have a dog food container on wheels that seems like it might be alright for charcoal as well.
Curious to see what everyone else is using.

I know the first home I owned had a "Coal Room" in the basement. It was a small wooden room with a metal door up near the ceiling that was used to pour coal in from the outside. I swear, the way some of you guys go through charcoal, those things should be making a comeback.

I'm fortunate to live in a temperate climate. The bags are stacked, on a platform a few inches off the ground, on the leeward side of the house under the eaves. Houses are close together so I don't really worry about it.

Like J, I'm in a low humidity, low rain, moderate temperature zone. I keep charcoal in original bags in a storage cabinet in the garage. I don't keep as much inventory as some of the nut jobs on this forum...I don't have room for it.

I keep mine in the bag(s) off the concrete in my garage. I used to have one of those K charcoal caddys.
With the ever changing sized bags coming out it was more of a hassle fitting the bag and the pour out lip.
I use it for rock salt storage now.

Tim

I just store it in the bag it came in......most of the year, my "active" bag is just rolled shut under the top of my Performer with my "stash" in the garage.

Like J, I'm in a low humidity, low rain, moderate temperature zone. I keep charcoal in original bags in a storage cabinet in the garage. I don't keep as much inventory as some of the nut jobs on this forum...I don't have room for it.
Who exactly are you calling a nut job, Chris?!?! :ROFLMAO:

I keep all of it in the original bags. Some of the bags are on a shelving unit in the garage. I keep three or four bags on the patio in those black/yellow storage bins that Home Depot sells

I know the first home I owned had a "Coal Room" in the basement. It was a small wooden room with a metal door up near the ceiling that was used to pour coal in from the outside. I swear, the way some of you guys go through charcoal, those things should be making a comeback.
Actually, those coal rooms were for heating coal, not charcoal. Many homes 100 plus years ago heated with coal and they would come by in a truck or horse wagon to deliver it and shovel the coal into the coal room from the outside.

In the bag, in the shed. The brand du jour for a cook is metered out in a metal pail as needed.
I only keep a couple hundred pounds around at any given time. Lump and briquette.

I use a Kingsford charcoal kaddy for my active charcoal and have a small storage shed in the backyard by the grills that I keep my stash in. With the humidity here hovering around 2-4% moisture is not a problem.
Now that I'm down to two charcoal grills and can't use charcoal in the summer I'm letting the stash go down from 36 bags to 10 and beyond.
I use the storage bin under the performer for smoke wood.

A reformed nut job.

I’ve been using a Kingsford caddy for years, the changing size of bags was a bit irksome for a while but, now that we are back to 20 pound bags it fine. I don’t put the bag in the tote anymore, just dump straight in. Back stock on pallet in garage, well a half pallet.

Does that make me a half nut job?

Back