What do you do with the small ribs from the rack?

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
When I do ribs, the 3 small ones are always tough and dry no matter how awesome the rest of them are. No one eats them because they know better so I wind up eating them so they don't go to waste.:(

Sear them in a stockpot and then make a soup stock. Think wonton soup. Add a piece of ham and dark meat chicken or dark meat bones. Do not boil. Only simmer to keep a clear broth. Or debone the raw rib and chop the meat in a food processor for shu mai.

Last edited:
I almost always trim to St. Louis style for that very reason. The small ribs and other trimmings are either done alongside the rack(s), used for Carnitas or go into a pot of beans.

I save at least three rib bones back for the next batch of beans. Its good in chili also, along with some brisket.

Thanks for all of the great ideas, I figured I could do something along those ideas. It's hard for me to believe that piece of meat could be so tough and dry when the ribs next to them are fine. :unsure:

around here price of back ribs has been almost double st louis recently
I just looked on line and there is only about 30 cents a pound difference here. Spare ribs on the other hand are about half, but I find too much waste on them to even consider. Of course, out here people think St Louis style is better, just like they feel about Imo's pizza.

With your listed BBQ Arsenal the price of back ribs appears not-a-problem;)

BGE and the Silver B were gifts for two fairly "big" birthdays...
The pellet was just over $300, sale, coupon and a damaged box discount.
The E330 was just over $200 including the propane conversion.

I guess I'm trying to say I watch what I spend so I can enjoy things, and with a couple of hungry kids still at home they eat a lot :D

Anyway, Back ribs were $5.99 a lb at costco a week ago, and St. Louis Spareribs were ( I think? ) 2.29 a lb.

looks like pork prices are coming back down but the back ribs haven't yet.

Anyway, Back ribs were $5.99 a lb at costco a week ago, and St. Louis Spareribs were ( I think? ) 2.29 a lb.

looks like pork prices are coming back down but the back ribs haven't yet.
That is a bit out of line. Just checked Walmart grocery website. StL style $2.84 and Back ribs $3.14. The "natural" back ribs were $5.98. Maybe that was the Costco difference too.

We usually shoehorn those 3 or 4 ribs trimmed from the rack of 13 in the empty spaces on the grates.
They're excellent as additions to any bean dish.

Back