What are your favorite BBQ tools? Best burger flipping spatula?

It is amazing how much insulation a pair of dry thick cotton gloves can provide. Lots of folks are using them with nitrile gloves over the top to handle meet which makes total sense. I used to work around hot rubber molds making auto-parts, and if memory serves, we kept them at around 650F to cure the rubber. We used thick, dry white cotton gloves on our hands to prevent burns, and they worked great as long as they were dry. Don't ask me about what happened when they got wet! Totally different story. Obviously that's part of the reason people wear the nitrile gloves for handling meat.

I love my Weber tongs and my Dexter spatula.
But I've got to get me some of those Artisan Griller gloves!

Gloves:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B075835CN8/tvwb-20

81jGrlfAKWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A close second are the Weber Tongs.
Thanx for the tip on the BBQ Gloves as a pair should be arriving here in Costa Rica next week!

The Vortex is my main gadget that is when we can use charcoal, also my Weber gloves and the four Extra Big and Loud Timers by Thermoworks.
Put one in the back yard and I can here that sucker go off if I'm in the garage at the front of the house.

My BIL gave me a set of those super long ones, they are really nice but, too long for a lot of things.
I like the shorter ones, better control for me

Those super long ones are great if you forget and reach across the vortex. Using the short ones removes the hair from the back of your hand. And to use a phrase from L Michaels “as me how I know”. 🔥😳

Any glove recommendations in addition to the artisans? I really get in there on the grill. I'm a hairy guy (TMI), there is not a cook that goes by without some burned hair smell. :eek:

Can you share your experience with these gloves? I have 2 similar looking pairs and they get so hot from working over the grill, that I've come close to burning my hands. Do these have special insulation or do you have experience using them in high heat 600F+

Thanks in advance!

My Favorites: I have a pair of those gravity locking tongs which I cannot cook without. I know some people have issues with them but the ones I have work great. I also have a 20+ yo spatula that is my go to that came with a Sears Grill and a pair of Mr BBQ Grill gloves (on Amazon for about $15.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XAL1QE/?tag=TVWB-20

I can’t remember what article turned me on to it, but I’m obsessed with my Mercer Culinary Hell’s Handle Large Fish Turner 9”x4” that I use for flipping burgs. The thing is a beast—sturdy enough and balanced enough to easily pick up a whole chicken, but not so long as to be unwieldy or to give up control. Highly recommend!

The Vortex is my main gadget that is when we can use charcoal, also my Weber gloves and the four Extra Big and Loud Timers by Thermoworks.
Put one in the back yard and I can here that sucker go off if I'm in the garage at the front of the house.
I stuck my vortex in the bottom of my 22" WSM this weekend for the first time. I used it to sear a tri-tip, with the cone pointing down, then assembled the WSM and finished the tri-tip on the middle grate. I was amazed at how quickly it pegged the thermometer in the dome. That vortex is really something. That was one of the best tri-tips I've made yet. I should have taken a few pics for a full post. I might do it next time. My fam really likes tri tip so I'm sure to do it again soon.

Can you share your experience with these gloves? I have 2 similar looking pairs and they get so hot from working over the grill, that I've come close to burning my hands. Do these have special insulation or do you have experience using them in high heat 600F+

Thanks in advance!
Never much thought about it. They seem to do the job well and I have not been burnt. Next time I am doing something "HOT" I will take note for you. But the only time I do something at 600F+ is when I am doing pizza on the grill, and then I am using peels.

Back