What are your favorite BBQ tools? Best burger flipping spatula?

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
I was putting bbq tools away this morning and thought, dang, I really like my 16" tongs. Probably one of my most essential bbq tools. Not only do they keep my hands far enough away from a really hot grill, but I can use them in a gloved hand for putting wood chunks exactly where I need them in my 22" WSM. This particular set of tongs is made by Oxo and has a nice lock closed feature which makes them easy to store. Could be the best $16 I ever spent. Also shown is my trusty Oxo cutting board. I have some smaller ones, but I rarely use them. This size is really nice because it'll go in the dishwasher if needed.

What's your favorite grilling or bbq tool? I'm not super happy w/my grilling spatula, if anyone has one they really like, let me know!

BBQ Tools - Tongs.jpg

Gloves! I like slightly shorter tongs 12” or even 9” Vollrath. As far as spatula? I have a big old Dexter long and wide one.
The gloves are nothing special, regular cowhide work gloves, I don’t tend to need them once I get the fire set, I work quickly when things are hot and have burned all the hair off the backs of my hands over the years. I have heavy gloves too but, I can get the others off more easily. If you work quickly you can even move an errant briquette or four without burning your fingertips.

Gloves:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B075835CN8/tvwb-20

81jGrlfAKWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A close second are the Weber Tongs.

20200604_081058.jpg

The spat on the left I have no idea where I bought it but I like it. One on the right is a steve raichlen fish spat i bought many years ago from BB&B on CL. I use that one primarily for lifting briskets, butts or large roasts.

Tim

I use a large commercial spatula that is sold by Gordon Food Service (GFS). Reasonably priced, stiff enough to truly work, and durable. I use it a lot when I plank salmon or steelhead. It also works perfectly well for hamburgers, etc.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53 :wsm:

I use this turner in this set, the slotted one gets used very infrequently. The solid one is one of my favorite kitchen/grill tools, we take it with us when we go away for the winter. They have grill sets, sold out at the moment, with longer handles.

I have 3 pig tails, 2 sizes, they see the most use, for burgers and such I have 2-3 pair of the tongs with 1 side being a small spatula that works well, I have several spatula's I only use on the 36" Blackstone griddle

I have a bunch of different tongs, but my absolute favorite is my Brinkmann tongs. I've had them for 20+ years now, and have never had any issue with them. They're scratched, charred a bit on the wooden handles, but completely well-loved. I own a couple of OXOs, and my only issue with them has been the rubber on the handles: They pop out way too often. I find myself resetting the rubber into the metal on a regular basis. Not sure if it's a batch issue or what (I bought two pairs on sale a few years back from the same rack), but personally I prefer my Brinkmann's. I've found the same issue with Weber's tongs. As much as I adore their grills, I find some of their tools to be sub-par. My current Weber tongs bend way too easily at the ends. My Brinkmanns are my joy. I mean, after my wife and child of course...

My Thermapen has become irreplaceable. my wife bought me a good pair of heat resistant gloves that I really like, but as for one particular tool, my family loves smash burgers. For years I didn’t have a burger press so I used the bottom (saucer) of a 6” terra cotta pot. A couple years ago I got a burger press for Christmas and boy oh boy do I love that thing!! Simple things for simple minds I guess...
Tim

My Thermapen has become irreplaceable. my wife bought me a good pair of heat resistant gloves that I really like, but as for one particular tool, my family loves smash burgers. For years I didn’t have a burger press so I used the bottom (saucer) of a 6” terra cotta pot. A couple years ago I got a burger press for Christmas and boy oh boy do I love that thing!! Simple things for simple minds I guess...
Tim
Have to agree. Therm is top tool in many ways. Gloves take a lot of hassle away, not to mention safety, fire building, ease if... and a burger press makes things easy

Agreed - the thermapen is a great tool to have around. I upgraded to the newer version and really like not having to worry if it gets left out in the rain, and the standard AA battery. I did go ahead and order a new spatula. I have the "Special Forces" spatula with a really sharp serrated edge that I never use. I'm not a gun owner, so maybe I should put this thing in my night stand for home defense purposes?

Pampered Chef.jpg

I have a spatula with serrated edges and I've never understood their purpose. It's nearly 20" long so if the serrations were designed to give it some sort of cutting ability they do nothing more than make it a really cumbersome knife, plus the angle of the head to the handle would make it even more awkward to use in that manner. I'm pretty sure it was part of a toolkit the kids gave me years ago.

I have a spatula with serrated edges and I've never understood their purpose. It's nearly 20" long so if the serrations were designed to give it some sort of cutting ability they do nothing more than make it a really cumbersome knife, plus the angle of the head to the handle would make it even more awkward to use in that manner. I'm pretty sure it was part of a toolkit the kids gave me years ago.
John, I have that exact spatul, I think it came with a grilling set from pampered chef. I love the strength of the handle and how stiff the metal part is as well..
Tim

... What's your favorite grilling or bbq tool? I'm not super happy w/my grilling spatula, if anyone has one they really like, let me know!

• I use those tongs for putting coal in through the door of the WSB on long cooks. It's a nice length for that.
  • Spatula and tongs - part of a set we got as a wedding present in '79. Used ~3x/wk. Made in Japan of wood/stainless and still going strong
  • Thermapen - Classic
  • Gloves - Showa 7714R-10, about $4/pr

Back