Weekend's catch-Sculpin fish!

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi Everybody,
I wanted to share what I caught at the ocean on Sunday! I booked a morning 1/2 day (6 hrs) fishing trip out of Newport beach, CA. using http://www.newportlanding.com/ . Great crew, we found fish, and they were biting!!! I ended up with some nice Sculpin fish as other anglers were catching tasty Rock fish, Sand Dabs and more Sculpin! I had a blast! We saw some whales as well as dolphins. The weather was great, sunny and warm, and no wind! I used Squid and sardines for the bait, they seemed to hit that combo! I simply pan fried the fillets with garlic pepper, flour, egg whites, panko bread crumbs, olive oil. White flaky very tasty fish!!! Yum!

I fried a few fillets, and froze the rest in zip lock bags later a tasty dinner :).

Last edited:
Beautiful day to be on the ocean & those are some tasty fish too, It's been years since on been on a charter myself.

That's funny! Yes, ugly fish, but good eaten ;)

Nice catch and cook Michael.

Sculpin are very tasty fish to eat but beware of the spines. Sculpin don't come with a warning label, but if they did it would read "Touch at your own risk."

Handling the fish once you catch it is like playing with a poisonous grenade. If you get pricked by one of its porcupine-like spines, the area will explode in excruciating pain.

I kicked one once going to the bait tank and my big toe felt like i hit it with a hammer for two plus hours.

Nice catch and cook Michael.

Sculpin are very tasty fish to eat but beware of the spines. Sculpin don't come with a warning label, but if they did it would read "Touch at your own risk."

Handling the fish once you catch it is like playing with a poisonous grenade. If you get pricked by one of its porcupine-like spines, the area will explode in excruciating pain.

I kicked one once going to the bait tank and my big toe felt like i hit it with a hammer for two plus hours.

I am very well aware of those spines!!! The deckhands did all of the handling of the fish and warned everybody about them. Sorry to hear that I had to feel that pain, Ouch!!!!

Back