Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and Summit Charcoal Grilling Center - New for 2016

The Performer style will go for $1999.00! That's $2000.00! I'll keep my Performers and WSM's, thanks just the same...

Considering how a couple of minor additions (a couple of firebricks and a Pizza Stone rack) make a Performer so versatile, no chance I would be interested in the Summit, NO WAY!

Keep on smokin'
Dale53:wsm:

Could not agree more

this photo (from anotherpintplease.com) is totally unfair.

it's not enough to show off the NEW SUMMIT but to panaramic view his entire deck filled with Webers INCLUDING the BLUE BULLIT!!

edit:
:summitcharcoal: very cute Chris

$2000 delivered for the one I want!
Too expensive for me but.
I also hunt... Teachers spend $6000 on a Honda 4 wheeler, $1000 on a rifle & mid priced scope.
$1000 on a rigged bow.
$40,000 on a used 4 wheel drive truck!
I fish , a bass boat used will cost $20,000 & you need a vehicle to tow.
Outdoor cooking is a CHEAP hobby!!!
If I wasn't being retired In 1 year I'd get one.

I know. I got the email today and started looking around. Weber's "videos" on their site were a joke. I found the video amazingribs.com did and to my surprise there were quite a few things that I thought were pretty neat. When he showed the insulated top, I thought finally. Even though it was air, at least its something. Then when he went to the bottom and showed how the insulated lower portion of the grill was open at the bottom I was disappointed. For most people thats not an issue, as someone from Wisconsin who uses their grills and smokers all year long, overnight cooks in my WSM in the middle of winter would consume almost an entire bag of Kingsford.

I like the damper design, but the one touch on the bottom needs to be abandoned. Maybe now with the smaller holes theres better control but as soon as you put some heat in the grill, the "petals" warp and clog with crap. The charcoal grate is impressive, Im glad they went with a thicker gauge rod, and the two stage setup is nice. Im also a little skeptical about the "smoking baffle" but I guess we'll see as people use it.

As I was watching the video I found myself liking the product more and more and subliminally talking myself into it. I'll always have a spot in my heart for Weber, and not being one thats afraid to spend money, but $1500 is way too much.

Is this your experience with the kettles?

Yes, it's a lot of money, to be sure. Sounds like a BGE comparably equipped is about the same, at least that's what I'm hearing.

I'm looking forward to someone with BGE experience using this grill and telling us how its performance compares.

Really how hard would it be to make that into a 26" performer, you already have the cart and the tub to do it without the liner. Not much reengineering to do. Something like that at a decent price point I would consider.

$2000 delivered for the one I want!
Too expensive for me but.
I also hunt... Teachers spend $6000 on a Honda 4 wheeler, $1000 on a rifle & mid priced scope.
$1000 on a rigged bow.
$40,000 on a used 4 wheel drive truck!
I fish , a bass boat used will cost $20,000 & you need a vehicle to tow.
Outdoor cooking is a CHEAP hobby!!!
If I wasn't being retired In 1 year I'd get one.

Exactly the right perspective. Clearly none of us NEED this cooker.

But it's way cheaper than a sports car or a mistress. I'll see what my wife thinks!

More tidbits on optional Summit Charcoal Grill accessories:

• Polyester cover: $59 / $69
  • Large rib rack: price unknown
  • Expansion grilling rack: price unknown
  • Charcoal rake: price unknown

Got a note from someone I know inside Weber. He says, and I'm paraphrasing, "We know these prices aren't for everyone, but years of R&D went into this product. We expect it will meet the needs of a segment of our customer base looking for high-end grills."

I stopped into a Weber dealer today that had both models out in front of the store to check them out. They had cooked a pork butt and a chicken earlier in the day on the base model. Store rep says he usually cooks on an egg and was highly impressed with the new Webers. He got them in earlier than expected when Weber accidentally sent the 2 units in with his spring order shipment, so he had cooked a few times on them already. Way above my price point, but it was pretty cool to check out both models in person today.

years of R&D went into this product.

That reminds me, can anyone remember what was supposed to be a "prototype 26" Performer" looked like in a past post here that had to be taken down?
I wonder if it looked anything like the new SCG??
my memory isn't very good.

Last edited:
this photo (from anotherpintplease.com) is totally unfair.

it's not enough to show off the NEW SUMMIT but to panaramic view his entire deck filled with Webers INCLUDING the BLUE BULLIT!!

edit:
:summitcharcoal: very cute Chris

You are absolutely right, Jim. That's just wrong!!! Should be my deck.

Mike, congratulations on the work you did on this project. Top notch!

And you're the first to have the Summit Charcoal Grill smilie in your signature. :summitcharcoal: :)

:)

Wow, thanks so much, Chris, that is too cool and much appreciated! The project was something I was incredibly proud to be a part of and I'm honored you recognized some of my pictures. I've been lurking here for weeks reading all of the speculation. It leaves me in awe of the keen eye and passion everyone has when it comes to their Webers. I had the SCG on my backdeck and still found myself going outside to compare and contrast after reading posts here! Everyone here always leaves me unbelievably impressed with their enthusiasm and attention to detail. Cheers...and thanks again!

More tidbits on optional Summit Charcoal Grill accessories:

• Polyester cover: $59 / $69
  • Large rib rack: price unknown
  • Expansion grilling rack: price unknown
  • Charcoal rake: price unknown

Got a note from someone I know inside Weber. He says, and I'm paraphrasing, "We know these prices aren't for everyone, but years of R&D went into this product. We expect it will meet the needs of a segment of our customer base looking for high-end grills."

Well, the covers are pretty reasonable. :p

you can find much more on this topic here→ http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?646...-Summit-Charcoal-Grilling-Center-New-for-2016

but, after reading a bit from this thread, like....
Then when he went to the bottom and showed how the insulated lower portion of the grill was open at the bottom I was disappointed. For most people thats not an issue, as someone from Wisconsin who uses their grills and smokers all year long, overnight cooks in my WSM in the middle of winter would consume almost an entire bag of Kingsford.
John, i DO grill and smoke year round on both the kettle(s) and the WSM... and in some damn cold Wisconsin winter temps as low as minus 7 degrees... but doing so, using the amount of fuel that i do use, will NEVER discourage me from continuing... it's winter and it's BBQ.

you make it sound as if it's a waste of fuel to cook in winter on the (our) current equipment. If i'm wrong assuming so, i apologize.

I have not encountered a reason why the using the amount of fuel would keep me from enjoying what i do. It's not like i'm igniting a 10 dollar bill.
I'm sure the insulated lower end of the new grill will work as Weber intended it to... Better than the heat loss the WSM has.

:)

Wow, thanks so much, Chris, that is too cool and much appreciated! The project was something I was incredibly proud to be a part of and I'm honored you recognized some of my pictures. I've been lurking here for weeks reading all of the speculation. It leaves me in awe of the keen eye and passion everyone has when it comes to their Webers. I had the SCG on my backdeck and still found myself going outside to compare and contrast after reading posts here! Everyone here always leaves me unbelievably impressed with their enthusiasm and attention to detail. Cheers...and thanks again!

Weber did a great job keeping the big photo reveal under wraps until today, but I had fun messing with your photos in Photoshop, trying to glean additional details. :)

Mike, you've got plenty of WSM experience and Performer experience. Putting aside the $1500 price tag (top of the line Performer + biggest WSM = $800), how would you compare ease of use and performance with the Performer? With the WSM?

It looks like the prices are a little less than the range for Summit gas grills.

I'm not likely to buy a Summit gasser, given the price and the suitability of less expensive models such as the Genesis or Spirit. Same goes for this new charcoal Summit. My WSM and kettle will get the job done for me.

But it is common for a company to have a "top of the line" item in the product line, whether it be a TV, car, clothing, or wine, to capture extra dollars from the segment of customers who want the top of the line and (often) don't really care how much it costs.

The Summits are products for those folks, whose Summit gassers I see on the annual tour of homes, and some die-hard cooks who will make the sacrifice to get one. I don't see this item selling a big volume, but it will probably make a darned good profit on the units sold. See the $1,300 Ranch Kettle for comparison.

That said, I hope they sell tons of them so I have a better chance of getting a deal on a used one down the road.

Back