Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and Summit Charcoal Grilling Center - New for 2016

Chris – I am pretty shocked that they have not reached out to you about this yet. I fully understand this site is not a Weber affiliated site, but your dedication to the weber brand and past interactions with Weber, including the site visit, would make you a perfect person as a resource.
Looks like they kept the lid on pretty tight when it came to this project, keeping it within a tight circle of people...not including me. :)

I look at it like this. Does it have advantages over a 22 WSM? Yes. Does it have $1,000+ worth of advantages over a WSM? In my mind, No.

Of course the big green egg is popular and sells. I personally can't bring myself to buy a BGE when I can get just as good results from a WSM!

More photos from Weber press relations:

18501001Y_preview_zps39ellnr6.jpg

18301001G_zpsfk9rszxh.jpg

18301001YI_zpsfra9xbbk.jpg

18301001JB_zpso8kwjx57.jpg

At that price, (it will be double in the UK), I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. That's a lot of coin for something I can do on my WSM and grills. Not for me.

Well, I agree the price is high, but it looks really cool. As "coincidence" or the BBQ gods may have it, I was just notified that I will be receiving a bonus that can more than pay for this cool new toy.

So I am seriously considering it. That being said, I really do need to compare it to a ceramic like a BGE. I have more homework to do on this before I actually commit to making this investment, but I do appreciate reading all of your thoughts.

I'm surprised at how many are surprised by the price, since that was leaked awhile back.
I think it will have to be reviewed, and seen in person to truly judge its worth.

If you folks all pitch in you can send me one for my birthday in August!
And I will say in advance...
"Thank you so much!"
My wife always tells me to tell people what I want so, I'm telling you early enough for it to still be a surprise!:cool:

I am not close to interested in dropping that much cash!

I know. I got the email today and started looking around. Weber's "videos" on their site were a joke. I found the video amazingribs.com did and to my surprise there were quite a few things that I thought were pretty neat. When he showed the insulated top, I thought finally. Even though it was air, at least its something. Then when he went to the bottom and showed how the insulated lower portion of the grill was open at the bottom I was disappointed. For most people thats not an issue, as someone from Wisconsin who uses their grills and smokers all year long, overnight cooks in my WSM in the middle of winter would consume almost an entire bag of Kingsford.

I like the damper design, but the one touch on the bottom needs to be abandoned. Maybe now with the smaller holes theres better control but as soon as you put some heat in the grill, the "petals" warp and clog with crap. The charcoal grate is impressive, Im glad they went with a thicker gauge rod, and the two stage setup is nice. Im also a little skeptical about the "smoking baffle" but I guess we'll see as people use it.

As I was watching the video I found myself liking the product more and more and subliminally talking myself into it. I'll always have a spot in my heart for Weber, and not being one thats afraid to spend money, but $1500 is way too much.

I'm surprised at how many are surprised by the price, since that was leaked awhile back.
I guess there's always hope that the leaked price is wrong or is the MSRP and will sell for less at retailers. But I had a feeling the price would be at a premium but in line with comparable ceramic grills and that's what happened.

I think it will have to be reviewed, and seen in person to truly judge its worth.

We knew the price but now we see what we're getting for that price. I think that's the big question mark.

I guess there's always hope that the leaked price is wrong or is the MSRP and will sell for less at retailers. But I had a feeling the price would be at a premium but in line with comparable ceramic grills and that's what happened.

I was hoping either 1) the leaked price was wrong, as Chris mentioned or 2) there would be features I wasn't expecting that would make me think the price was worth it. Neither turned out to be true. :(

Yep, just like using one in your oven.

At this price point, I'm underwhelmed. I'd like to see some field tests first. Everything from a 180 degree chipotle making slow burn, to burgers, to a scorching pizza cook. But so far, I think I'd rather spend the money on a ceramic.

Exactly! Though I bought both my large Big Green Egg and Classic Kamado Joe used, collectively I spent less than $800 on them. I could cook 20+ hours untended on both, or on just one, while the other sears at 700. You can purchase an XL BGE (same grid diameter) for quite a bit less money ($1100-$1200) range, with a lifetime warranty and proven record.

At those prices I'll keep my 26.75 kettle as my rare "big party" go-to grill, and rely one one of the two ceramic kamados..........or steel Bubba keg..........for the other 95% of my grilling duties.

Here's a really good video montage of the Summit Charcoal Grill.

It shows the use of the grate extender, hanging grates on the end of the cart, and it looks like the diffuser plate stores underneath the cart on the right side.

Here's a really good video montage of the Summit Charcoal Grill.

It shows the use of the grate extender, hanging grates on the end of the cart, and it looks like the diffuser plate stores underneath the cart on the right side.

Thanks for the Another Pint's link Chris.
That video on Weber's site is what started me thinking hmmmm

Video looks like it has a 2nd rack option. I wonder if that would be sold spereatly and fit a 22.

Wow, love the design and capabilities, but there's no way I could justify it at that price. Maybe I'll find one on Craigslist after a few years.

Back