Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and Summit Charcoal Grilling Center - New for 2016

My wife's reaction...

It is pretty!

I think she'll make me sell the WSM if I decide to get it - not sure I want to give it up yet.

Well my mind is made up. I showed it to Nancy and she said "forget it" as she walked out of the room. We'll be married forty years on Sunday so even I understand these things by now.

I'm so depressed :(
I'm 62 on the 12th & had hoped to justify one for my birthday!
Even with house paid for last year & kids off the payroll I cant justify that price!
I can take a small vacation for that!

The price is high - I will give you that. I have enough saved up at the moment so if I really wanted this grill I could buy it. What's missing for me isn't the price - it's the value for that price.

I really wish it solved problems that existing kettles don't solve - like make it easier to adapt for temperature control systems is the biggest one. The biggest enthusiast market has been slapping blowers and dangling temperature probes off the sides of their kettles for years - this one doesn't do anything to make it easier. (And it doesn't make it easier to get the ashes out either - my biggest issue with the charcoal kettles)

If it had something like a built-in rotisserie or the ability to stack in another insulated layer in the middle for a second layer of cooking... or pretty much done anything but made a more insulated kettle with a stubby side table, I'd be interested.

Well my mind is made up. I showed it to Nancy and she said "forget it" as she walked out of the room. We'll be married forty years on Sunday so even I understand these things by now.

You are a very smart man Rolf. Forty years is worth much more than any grill. Congrats on those forty years. We get that one next year. Congrats!!!

I was informed by the boss that I can purchase one as soon as they're available in red.

My wife's reaction...It is pretty! I think she'll make me sell the WSM if I decide to get it - not sure I want to give it up yet.

Sent wife a pic of it at her work, her reply was "it looks lovely" (I'll call that nice sarcasm)

I showed the pics and videos to Mrs. TVWB this morning. She says, "You're going to have to get one, to see how it smokes compared to the WSM, right?"

God, I love my wife. :D

I was all set to get out the plastic, but dang!! Too rich for my blood. Maybe Warren Buffet or Bill Gates will let me use theirs. My initial guess at the price was $899 for the smaller one (non-table), but Weber has lost their minds at this price point. I was ready to sell my Performer and Kamado Joe, but they are looking mighty good right now.

I was all set to get out the plastic, but dang!! Too rich for my blood. Maybe Warren Buffet or Bill Gates will let me use theirs. My initial guess at the price was $899 for the smaller one (non-table), but Weber has lost their minds at this price point. I was ready to sell my Performer and Kamado Joe, but they are looking mighty good right now.

Completely agree. You can buy the Pit Boss 24 in. Kamado Grill from Costco for $749.

Weber is crazy, if they think we are going to buy the Summit for $1,500 or $2k.

I showed the pics and videos to Mrs. TVWB this morning. She says, "You're going to have to get one, to see how it smokes compared to the WSM, right?"

There you go guys, just tell your wife:
"Well Chris' wife said he could buy one!" :p

Jo and I pretty much buy what we each desire, within reason, so it wouldn't be problem for me, but I'm good with the cookers I have now.

Kind of think it's a shame they didn't, or wouldn't, reach out for advice from this large group of Weber users.
Corporations always think they know best I guess.

edit, my 'early' email notice just came.

Here's the written review of the Summit Charcoal Grill from AmazingRibs.com:

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipmen...tion-grill-smoker/weber-summit-charcoal-grill

A few more nuggets of info from this review:

• An optional grate extender is available to increase cooking capacity.
  • The inner lid liner is aluminum, which the inner bowl liner is porcelain-enameled steel.
  • The lid gasket is braided stainless steel.
  • Charcoal lighting times using the gas assist are 7-10 minutes with the charcoal grate in the lower position, 12-14 minutes in the upper position.
  • Vent openings in the bottom of the bowl are keyhole-shaped. See photo below.
  • A foil drip pan or water pan can be placed on top of the diffuser plate.
  • There is a port for installation of an Automatic Temp Control Device like BBQ Guru.

pic13_zpsyklhh7dv.jpg

The review closes with this commentary:

"Although prices are in line with Summit gassers and premium quality kamados on carts, they're a big leap up from the kettles we know and love. Many who already smoke and grill on their kettles will shrug and wonder why spend more. At the end of the day, it's true that a regular classic Weber kettle can grill and smoke, but the new Summits are just plain bigger and better in every way. You get more capacity, ease of use and more versatility. It actually is a dedicated charcoal smoker by design, and we love the adjustable coal grate that burns directly under the cook surface for better searing. No doubt these new Charcoal Summits will shake up the backyard cooker market and you can bet kamado makers are winding up their counter punches."

I Stand corrected:
$1,499 and $1,999 according to AmazingRibs.com

If I DIDN'T HAVE a less that one year old Summit e470 AND a less than one year old 18.5" WSM, I MIGHT be tempted. But having paid north of $2,200 for my two black beauties, I'll pass on this one.

Upon further review.
At first I had mainly looked at the less costly unit, but seeing Weber's video of the table model...............
I might have to sell a kidney.
That thing is sweet!
It's almost the 26" Performer many of us wanted, and much more.
But at 2K I'll be thinking about it for awhile.

any info on where it's made?

As I said on the other thread:
"If I DIDN'T HAVE a less that one year old Summit e470 AND a less than one year old 18.5" WSM, I MIGHT be tempted. But having paid north of $2,200 for my two black beauties, I'll pass on this one. "

A lot of great comments and thoughts already. But for me the price is just too high, and even if I could spend that amount I don’t think it’s enough of an upgrade for the price. I have been lucky/thrifty enough that I only have $65 invested in all of my equipment ($50 WSM, $15 Lime) so I could not justify $1500 on just one cooker. I could buy all of my wish list grills Performer, 26’, and the 22 WSM all brand new. With the left over $ I could even grab a few older colored kettles which would be nice.

That being said, I am not knocking them for reaching into a different market and trying to innovate/enhance their products. I just happen not to be the target demographic for it.

Chris – I am pretty shocked that they have not reached out to you about this yet. I fully understand this site is not a Weber affiliated site, but your dedication to the weber brand and past interactions with Weber, including the site visit, would make you a perfect person as a resource.

I'm guessing the key hole intakes are for the low and slow smokes. So when you position the one touch in the low and slow smoker mode it covers the regular slats, but keeps the keyhole portion still open allowing enough air to do low and slow. That is my guess.

I was informed by the boss that I can purchase one as soon as they're available in red.

I was informed by the boss that I can purchase one as soon as Hell does in fact freeze over! ;)

Her reply to the picture I texted her: "WOW, that's nice and NO!!!!"

Also, I think the Amazingribs review said that it comes with a port that is separate from the one touch system to add temp controllers.

Looks amazing, but like many here have already said, the price is too high. I think the $1000-1200 range would be more doable.

Back