Weber Genesis Gold C (00-01)

He has always been responsive to me through CL. But, I haven't contacted him in a year or two.

Just finished refreshing my grill yesterday for the 3rd or 4th time. I am the original owner from 2001. Made a few mistakes with the first refresh. I got to aggressive with the end caps and and frame rust spots. . Ended up removing the textured finish in the end caps. on The frame, i should have started with the least aggressive abrasive mater a possible.
Rich
6B548062-E64E-4711-ACC5-7C5CE2DFDA6A.jpeg

That's a winner in my book! Like Bruce said, they are getting rarer to find. Love that 1st generation Summit frame :cool: .

Gorgeous! The side table looks great, and in my opinion you've got a grill that is better than anything you can buy new!

Yes, it is identical. Some of the Platinum versions with a closed cabinet even had the same doors. The top of the frame I guess is different to mate up with a Genesis firebox, but basically they are the same.

I've not had luck getting in contact with rcp thru cl. At least not last month when I was restoring my grills. He did ship my flavorizers from ebay promptly though.
I was able to get in touch with him through an inmail through Ebay and got in touch with him through email. Was able to shave off a few $$ from the EBAY listed price.

Just finished refreshing my grill yesterday for the 3rd or 4th time. I am the original owner from 2001. Made a few mistakes with the first refresh. I got to aggressive with the end caps and and frame rust spots. . Ended up removing the textured finish in the end caps. on The frame, i should have started with the least aggressive abrasive mater a possible.
Rich
View attachment 52333
I think I've made a similar mistake with being too aggresive. I started with a hand drill wire cup brush and it scratched off some of the textured finish. I think I have to bring it down to bare aluminum now... thoughts? I also tried paint removed on the backside of the grill box to see if that would be a quick removal process. After 3 coats (with about 30-40 minutes between each coat) only small parts of the textured finish came off. I think I may have to wire wheel it all the way down to bare and then paint.

Thoughts on bringing it down to bare aluminum or will the spray paint cover these differences after a few coats?

If you repaint it with patches of the original textured finish gone, it is going to look horrible.

Yes, that is what I am saying. I know what it looks like and it just looks terrible unless the surface is either bare or fully coated with the original textured paint. The bare spots will stand out terribly.

Yes, that is what I am saying. I know what it looks like and it just looks terrible unless the surface is either bare or fully coated with the original textured paint. The bare spots will stand out terribly.
Do you know if a 4" angle grinder wire wheel will leave marks on the metal? I just picked up the angle grinder wire wheel because the wire cup I have for my drill isn't quite powerful enough to remove all the coating. I am a little nervous it will leave marks or striations in the metal but it could just be me being over cautious..

That is what I use to strip mine unless I take them to a sandblaster to have them do it. The angle grinder and wire wheel should work well.

Back