Weber Genesis Gold C (00-01)

JMeade CT

I came across a Weber that was in decent shape for free. After some research and speaking with Weber I've determined it's a 2000-2001 Genesis Gold C. Thanks to this forum I have found many tutorials for restoring many of the different components but I do have a question about removal and resecuring the metal side panels attached to the lid. They don't appear to be typical threaded nuts, but I am not certain because they have some build-up on them. I cleaned part of one off and wanted to inquire whether these are push caps or some other attachment method. I am concerned if I take them off to clean/repaint the side panels and porcelain top that I will be unable to get it back together. Attached some photos for reference. Any advice would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_4620.jpg
    IMG_4620.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4619.jpg
    IMG_4619.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4621.jpg
    IMG_4621.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4618.jpg
    IMG_4618.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 29
JMeade, they are sort of a cross between a push nut and a regular nut.....I think they are called "speed nuts". I've always managed to get mine off, usually in reusable condition. There are replacement parts out there that you can buy if you need or want new nuts/bolts. @Bruce likes the stainless ones as in THIS POST as an example (you could always paint the outside if you don't like the stainless accent.) I wouldn't worry much about what it looks like on the inside, as that'll be coated with crud eventually anyway.....unless you are flipping it, and then maybe it's more important.

Good luck with your restore, and keep us updated with your progress. If this is a keeper grill, definitely show it off in action when you can! :)

Rich

PS: Welcome!

JMeade, they are sort of a cross between a push nut and a regular nut.....I think they are called "speed nuts". I've always managed to get mine off, usually in reusable condition. There are replacement parts out there that you can buy if you need or want new nuts/bolts. @Bruce likes the stainless ones as in THIS POST as an example (you could always paint the outside if you don't like the stainless accent.) I wouldn't worry much about what it looks like on the inside, as that'll be coated with crud eventually anyway.....unless you are flipping it, and then maybe it's more important.

Good luck with your restore, and keep us updated with your progress. If this is a keeper grill, definitely show it off in action when you can! :)

Rich

PS: Welcome!
Thanks! The first one I tried to take off I attempted with my impact driver so I may have damaged it (I haven't attempted to put it back on yet), so I decided to stop and post before going any further to ensure there were some form of replacement hardware that I could use before proceeding.

This grill will be a keeper, it is my first ever attempt at restoring a grill. All of the components and innards appear in good condition with little to no corrosion.

I had to order new flavorizer bars and grill grates so far. I contacted weber and apparently they no longer make the bars for the 00-01 model, so I am ordering 24.5" flavorizers and will be cutting them down to size (23-3/8"). The first set I ordered were 22.5 (02' and later) and don't fit.

Correct me if I am wrong, and I’ve never worked on a Gold C, but I have restored a Silver C. The end caps to the hood have studs or posts that are part of the end cap, not a hole for a bolt? If the gold is like the silver, then this should be the case. What you would need to attach the end cap are called self cutting nuts, I think. I will search previous posts to try and confirm this.

Before you go too much further, I'd pump the brakes on talking to Weber and turn to the folks here first. I can only imagine how much they're getting for flavor bars and grates through Weber. They are both consumable items that make almost no sense for an OEM purchase. The good people here could have pointed you at some aftermarket parts with economy and better than OEM options to choose from on both. Regardless, welcome to the madness!

Before you go too much further, I'd pump the brakes on talking to Weber and turn to the folks here first. I can only imagine how much they're getting for flavor bars and grates through Weber. They are both consumable items that make almost no sense for an OEM purchase. The good people here could have pointed you at some aftermarket parts with economy and better than OEM options to choose from on both. Regardless, welcome to the madness!
Yeah I hear you! I called their helpline initially to see if they could assist with IDing the grill parts. I purchased parts off amazon for about half the price.

Correct me if I am wrong, and I’ve never worked on a Gold C, but I have restored a Silver C. The end caps to the hood have studs or posts that are part of the end cap, not a hole for a bolt? If the gold is like the silver, then this should be the case. What you would need to attach the end cap are called self cutting nuts, I think. I will search previous posts to try and confirm this.
I believe they are posts that are part of the end cap. I will check out the link you provided

There has to be a better deal out there than that.
Bruce, I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there too. I didn't spend a ton of time looking at these. I just posted the link as an example of the right ones for the grill. They are from rcplanebuyer though, so you know the quality is top notch!

If those are RCP grades then that is probably not a bad deal. But I would suggest contacting him through craigslist rather than buying over eBay. You will get a better deal that way.

I came across a Weber that was in decent shape for free. After some research and speaking with Weber I've determined it's a 2000-2001 Genesis Gold C. Thanks to this forum I have found many tutorials for restoring many of the different components but I do have a question about removal and resecuring the metal side panels attached to the lid. They don't appear to be typical threaded nuts, but I am not certain because they have some build-up on them. I cleaned part of one off and wanted to inquire whether these are push caps or some other attachment method. I am concerned if I take them off to clean/repaint the side panels and porcelain top that I will be unable to get it back together. Attached some photos for reference. Any advice would be helpful.
Even if you have trouble getting the right parts, this would be a keeper grill. Don't give up on it......

So I took a bunch of photo's after disassembling some of the pieces. Overall there is almost no corrosion on this thing. The most corrosion can be found on the hose and regulator manifold as well as the catch pan holder (which I already have a replacement for). Do you think I need to invest in a new manifold? There does not appear to be any holes in it.

There is also a small chip to the porcelain coating at the front of the shroud. Any suggestions on how to repair or protect this from corroding further?

I haven't tested the igniter but assume I will need a replacement.

The last question I have, is the bolt that holds the cook box to the frame appears to be fused on. I assume I just cut this off and replace the bolt/nut.

Attachments

• IMG_4624.JPG
    IMG_4624.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4625.JPG
    IMG_4625.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4623.JPG
    IMG_4623.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4635.JPG
    IMG_4635.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4637.JPG
    IMG_4637.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4649.JPG
    IMG_4649.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4648.JPG
    IMG_4648.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4633.JPG
    IMG_4633.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4634.JPG
    IMG_4634.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4644.JPG
    IMG_4644.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4645.JPG
    IMG_4645.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4646.JPG
    IMG_4646.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4647.JPG
    IMG_4647.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 30
Your manifold shouldn't need to be replaced. You can do something about it's appearance. Here are a couple of pictures of an older manifold than yours after I cleaned it up and repainted it. 16291616158963647142958874476459.jpg16291616823544038408671345756776.jpg

@JMeade CT

yeah, cut the bolt and replace it with stainless.

Manifold looks fine. Just surface rust. The manifolds are thick and not likely to rust through.

I'd keep an eye out for a donor lid. Many years will fit.

I have had a couple manifolds where the brackets that attach to the cook box were rusted so bad that the manifold was not really usable any longer. I was able to repair them by welding in a new piece, but I would have never put them back on the grills otherwise.

But, I agree, 95/100 times, the manifold is perfectly fine with a little rust remediation and repaint and will last another 25 years.

If those are RCP grades then that is probably not a bad deal. But I would suggest contacting him through craigslist rather than buying over eBay. You will get a better deal that way.
I've not had luck getting in contact with rcp thru cl. At least not last month when I was restoring my grills. He did ship my flavorizers from ebay promptly though.

Back