Weber #9930 Grates

Josh,
I did not know you can bring those back to life. I have been wasteful and throwing them away if I could not clean them with Dawn and Simple Green. I never knew you could get them looking that good.
Thanks for the tip!
I just have to be a little bit more careful with the stamped steel ones when using the wire wheel because if the wire wheel catches the stamped SS bar it can tweak it and break the weld

Welcome Albert. That is a nice group of grills. I like that you have many different style and models of weber grills. I am curious what the inside of the cabinet on the Stainless Steel Platinum Genesis looks like.
Thanks Bruce,

I don't have any pics of the restored grill but it looks as new. Attached is a pic of the inside unrestored. As you can see it wasn't to bad.
I totally disassembled cleaned and polished the grill. All the side and bottom panels had to be sand blasted and painted. I couldn't get a perfect color match to weber light grey paint but I'm the only one that knows lol.

My inner lid was starting to corrode and detached, luckily I got a new SS lids under warranty from Weber. After blasting my lower panel and bottom of one side panel had some minor pin holes so nothing major.

If your thinking of picking one up inspect the inside of the lid for corrosion and detachment of the inner SS liner and especially all the panels for rust.

All consumables grates, flav bars, burners, ignitor, and so on are still available from Weber or after market.

I looked for years to find a descent Platinum Genesis most had rusted out bottom panels and side panels had rusted out on the bottom portion of the panels all do to neglect, not cleaned regularly and or not kept covered.

The panels are no longer available. But a similar enclosed Genesis grill panels in good shape if you find one may work they are usually black just paint to best matching color. Or find a Genesis with a wire basket type bottom and use that without the side panels, Frankenstein one together if you will. You will need a bottom panel of some sort to keep the legs of the grill together. I actually prefer the open configuration, the enclosed grills always get rusty inside if not maintained.

If you can find a descent Platinum Genesis and are handy they are worth it to restore or just for the SS frame.

I recently restored (all new internals and repainted) a similar grill Genesis Gold non enclosed model (see pic) with SS lid for my Nephew the lid had the same problem as mentioned above. After contacting Webber the SS lids are no longer available so they sent him a new black percaline replacement. The SS lid is still usable so he will reserve the new lid for future use. This grill had a very good frame and bottom panel but I scuffed repainted both. This grill with the proper care will last him many decades and he loves it.
This Genesis would have bean a perfect candidate for a platinum SS frame if I had one.

My Platinum Genesis is at my fishing camp so next time I'm there Ill try to get some more pics of it restored inside and out and post them.

See my previous post to Jon Tofte for more.

These Platinum Genesis grills are fantastic grills and worth getting just for the SS frame and parts.

Attachments

• Owen 1.jpg
    Owen 1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Craigs list Genesis Platinum 5 5-11-before 2023.jpg
    Craigs list Genesis Platinum 5 5-11-before 2023.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 13
Josh,
I did not know you can bring those back to life. I have been wasteful and throwing them away if I could not clean them with Dawn and Simple Green. I never knew you could get them looking that good.
Thanks for the tip!
I've posted a couple of times on cleaning those grates over the last few years because I've always liked them. Anytime you can clean up a set of them you just saved $100.

I guess it is just a climate thing. Almost any cabinet grill from that era is toast by now.

@Bruce
Here's one for sale near me. Looks like it at least needs a bottom panel.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1430307497659042/?ref=search

View attachment 99849

I'm scheduled to pick up the second Summit Platinum Saturday morning at 7:00 a.m.
I was wondering if that one was tickling your weber bone..... I was having thoughts, but that lid looks pretty rough too. If it was free - I'd be trying hard NOT to be on my way......

I'm pissed at myself for letting that Spirit(I) 3 burner down in Kirkland for $40 go by this morning --- easily a $200-250 grill that 'may' have joined my herd..... Good thing it went fast.

In case anyone's interested in which wire wheels hold up the best between the ones from Lowe's and the ones from Home Depot. I'm stocking up.

I typically go to Lowe's by my house for anything hardware store related but I'm going out of my way to Home Depot because the wire wheel attachments for my dewalt impact that I use to clean grills are not all created equal. This I found after buying several from both places. They come in a similar variety pack for a similar price. The Ryobi ones from Home Depot hold up much better and last longer than the Norton ones from Lowe's. They both work fine but you'll get more life out of the Ryobi ones from Home Depot. Just in case anyone's interested.

20240912_142121~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240912_141416_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240912_141248_Lowe's.jpg

Back