Weber #9930 Grates

Good thinking of doing a side by side before and after! I think you said before, but do you soak in anything or do you just get after them with the drills?
I usually just start with the impact/wire wheel first and then I soak and wash them. If they're really bad I'll go back with the impact/wire wheel again and wash again with simple green and Dawn dish soap.

I did a week long soak in a commercial grade kitchen degreaser a while back on several grate sets I had acquired. About 75% of all the built up gunk came off in the bath or on the simple garden hose rinse. It was $20 worth of product, but it made the final wire brushing super painless

My method on grates is to soak them in a grill cleaner bath for a day or several days. Some you can get by with a few hours.
Then I hit them with the pressure washer. Whatever is left which is usually very little or none, I hit with the angle grinder and cup brush to shine them up. Here are grates on a Q3200 that is about ten years old. I assume the grates were original, but not sure. The were very covered in grease and burned on carbon. I did not use the angle grinder obviously. Just the soak and pressure washer.

IMG_20240914_170334(1).jpg

The SS Solid rod grates never come out nice and shiny after the Pressure washing. They always need the angle grinder to shine them up and remove the minimal remaining gunk if there is any.

I sold both Summit Platinum grills for $100 to a young man who plans to restore them. Only $40 more than I paid so not much profit but I kept what I wanted.
2 sets of 9930s now as good as new and retail for about $700 so I'm very happy to get them for free + $40 profit. For my time and energy spent this weekend.
20240915_122551~2.jpg

Last edited:

Back