Weber #9930 Grates

I had to fight my weberitis hard once I saw those magnificent stainless beasts...... I tried to infect my neighbor with it too, but he is vaccinated with laziness and snobbery. Those grills needed to go to someone that would rehab them for their collection since the parts cost leave very little room for profit, but they still deserve a second life.

Props to Josh for giving me first crack at them!!!! And congrats to getting your costs + gas $ back on them!

I sold both Summit Platinum grills for $100 to a young man who plans to restore them. Only $40 more than I paid so not much profit but I kept what I wanted.
2 sets of 9930s now as good as new and retail for about $700 so I'm very happy to get them for free + $40 profit. For my time and energy spent this weekend.
View attachment 100177
I would think that between the two of those grills there was at least one workable one to be had without spending a ton of money. Of course, I didn't examine them in person so I can't say for sure. The grates were definitely worth your efforts even if you didn't want to mess with the Summits which is understandable.

Minimum flavor bars - $80-100 -- set of 'worthy' grates (obviously) ~$70 and they'd still be 4" short -- crossover tubes $25 -- gas catchers for ignitors x2 $20 and/or ignitor set $35 -- plus anything else along the way.... To do it justice a repaint for sure... And effort was needed to clean out the boxes to assess their and the drip pan condition before you even started.

Definitely doable and worthwhile --- but it has to be for yourself so its a matter of pride --- it would be hard to turn any profit if done right/well ---- and then you'd be low balled by someone that will just mistreat it just like the previous owners..... I don't need a grill this big, but I really WANTED it --- it would have been the perfect setup for half griddle/half grate.

I will say too --- I spent alot of time scouring amazon for the bars (and other parts) --- I believe we counted '9 bar' when I was looking at it with Josh --- I see some cheap 8 bar sets, but the 9 bar sets are $90+..... and even then some of the pics look like crap with visible spot welds --- also missing the 'notch(es)' on the horizontal cross bar..... Difficult to figure out which ones you really need.

... I don't need a grill this big, but I really WANTED it --- it would have been the perfect setup for half griddle/half grate.
You should have gone for then. I'll bet Josh would have given you a hand. I'll even go so far as to say he would have given you the good grates back had you gotten one up and running again. Sure, rehabbing these grills is a lot of work but it's very satisfying work, especially when you're doing it for yourself.

I didn't fully inspect the cook box but I looked long enough to tell that the grate supports were heavily deteriorating on both of them so the cook box is definitely needed work done on them also but I'm not sure how much because that was enough for me to say no thank you. The stainless although pretty good condition had scratches here and there and some small dings on the control panel to where it would never be perfect. I wouldn't want to put that much time and money and energy into something that's not going to be close to perfect when finished especially when it's not my favorite model. I do hope the young man that purchased them from me gets them up and running at any level. There's definitely some barbecuing life left in them especially if combined. Absolutely everything in the cook box did need to be replaced.

My biggest concern was the drip trays --- there was so much crap in there that you KNOW its been there for a looooong time all wet and nasty...... Those drip trays are TRUE unobtanium....
I wasn't going to invest time and effort only to find out what I fully expect the condition to be... plus I would have already committed to having them in MY yard by that point.

Hi - I'm Jim..... I have weberitis..... Its been one whole month since I've picked up my last free grill......
I'm constantly tempted by others, but by the grace of a higher power, I am able to resist.....

Last edited:
I don't know....

I kind of think Weberitis is a gift. Kind of like common sense not everybody has it. Being smart and savvy and having a higher level of intelligence is nothing to be ashamed of. I celebrate my Websitis. I'm thankful for this gift of reason and sanity where rational thinking and decisions are crystal clear.

At least this is what I tell my wife.

My biggest concern was the drip trays --- there was so much crap in there that you KNOW its been there for a looooong time all wet and nasty...... Those drip trays are TRUE unobtanium....
I wasn't going to invest time and effort only to find out what I fully expect the condition to be... plus I would have already committed to having them in MY yard by that point.
You can tell pretty easily on the drip trays by looking at the outside of them whether or not they are toast. The grease and gunk on the inside coats and protects them there. They usually look like new again inside after you scrape them down, just like the inside of the porcelain lids do.

Those summit cabinets are pretty damn low.... and the control panel hangs down pretty low too. I looked inside to see the pristine SS cabinet, but didn't think to eye up the drip pan from underneath. Like Josh said, there were enuff red flags to justify passing on these units. Another that many aren't noticing is that the non-smoker box one that had the left side table in place/full complete set of tables --- all the whitegrey plastic of the table - all three - had a horrible yellow discoloration (sun fade?) that was just unappealing..... so that even if you did get everything sorted, it would still look aged/worn/janky. One could have swapped out the two nice swing tables from the other, but you'd still have the odd ball left fixed table. You could have made a fine workable/usable grill out of the two, but it would still fall short on the appearance.... or you'd be constantly searching for the better left table. Honestly, I was more excited about making rolling work tables out of them --- that I really don't need or want --- but that would have been a waste of whatever life they might have left.

Its best that things worked out the way they did..... You HAVE to TRUST the higher power..... You'd know that if you would show up at the meetings.

You can tell pretty easily on the drip trays by looking at the outside of them whether or not they are toast. The grease and gunk on the inside coats and protects them there. They usually look like new again inside after you scrape them down, just like the inside of the porcelain lids do.
The best deep box trays I have were piled deep with the real nasty crap. Part of me thinks there’s a contingent of people that just don’t want to get a little dirty and would rather shell out another $1000 versus spending two hours cleaning it.

The best deep box trays I have were piled deep with the real nasty crap. Part of me thinks there’s a contingent of people that just don’t want to get a little dirty and would rather shell out another $1000 versus spending two hours cleaning it.
To be fair, there's probably a lot of people that just don't think about things like that. I know that years ago, I was one of those people too. Work, little kids, and inexperience with taking care of adult things and not enough time to get everything done. I'm fairly certain that I blew up the first lawnmower I bought because I didn't change the oil in it until it was too late. I also vividly remember never cleaning out my grill and the numerous grease fires that resulted. Luckily the grill survived my early abuse although the lawnmower didn't. I learned from my mistakes and don't make too many of them anymore thankfully. There are definitely some people out there that continually live in blissful ignorance and then complain about all the things they had that didn't perform or last like they should have because of their own lack of care.

To be fair, there's probably a lot of people that just don't think about things like that. I know that years ago, I was one of those people too. Work, little kids, and inexperience with taking care of adult things and not enough time to get everything done. I'm fairly certain that I blew up the first lawnmower I bought because I didn't change the oil in it until it was too late. I also vividly remember never cleaning out my grill and the numerous grease fires that resulted. Luckily the grill survived my early abuse although the lawnmower didn't. I learned from my mistakes and don't make too many of them anymore thankfully. There are definitely some people out there that continually live in blissful ignorance and then complain about all the things they had that didn't perform or last like they should have because of their own lack of care.
Agreed. I used to scrape out my kettle every year. I was hard on it with how I cooked. But gave it attention each spring. I haven’t used it since May 🥺 maybe I should go talk to it and let it know I still love her

Agreed. I used to scrape out my kettle every year. I was hard on it with how I cooked. But gave it attention each spring. I haven’t used it since May 🥺 maybe I should go talk to it and let it know I still love her
I do look at kettles a little differently for a couple of reasons. They are a lot simpler to keep clean for the very fact you need to clean the ashes out of them before a cook anyway. The other thing with them is you can run out and get another one that's basically the same as one made twenty years ago so there isn't that "I can't replace this" factor.

Back