Weber #9930 Grates

Jim wants to check them out and decide if he wants them for restoration. If he wants to save the Summit I will deliver to his house for free.
I have mixed emotions about those Summit grills. I think they are cool, but unless I knew the cook box was pretty much intact I don't think I would waste any time trying to restore one. At that point I certainly think it's ok to just part it out.

I have mixed emotions about those Summit grills. I think they are cool, but unless I knew the cook box was pretty much intact I don't think I would waste any time trying to restore one. At that point I certainly think it's ok to just part it out.
This is how I see it Steve. These Summit grills are either already in a junkyard or that's the next step if I don't grab it for parts. Am I really doing a dis Justice by salvaging what I deem valuable from a grill that's going to end up on the junk heep? Sure if I can find somebody who wants to restore it I will be happy to do what I can to make that happen.
I love Weber grills old ones and new ones. As far as putting time and money into a project grill I'm kind of picky. Also my taste in Weber's might be different than the next person and that's a good thing. Good that we're all not going for the same Grill. For me the Genesis 1000 is The Sweet spot and finding a nice one is an easy choice for restoration. The Deep box grills x000 and Jr. Are the grills I like to invest my time and money into. Doesn't mean Summit grills are no good or any other Weber for that matter. I still appreciate them but they are not on the top of my list to invest my time and money into.

I would feel obligated to save one if again, the cook box and the rest were in good shape. I could probably even learn to love it. I also wouldn't feel bad about cannibalizing a clapped out one for good parts I could use or pass on to someone else. I think we're pretty much on the same page here. I've pretty much stayed the course with Genesis 1000 grills. Heck, I don't even like the 2000-5000 models that much.

I would feel obligated to save one if again, the cook box and the rest were in good shape. I could probably even learn to love it. I also wouldn't feel bad about cannibalizing a clapped out one for good parts I could use or pass on to someone else. I think we're pretty much on the same page here. I've pretty much stayed the course with Genesis 1000 grills. Heck, I don't even like the 2000-5000 models that much.
The 1000 is definitely the sweet spot for me also. As far as variety I can dabble in the 2000 - 5000 and Jr. But that's about where my interest ends as far as restoration projects.

I can still appreciate other Webers and definitely appreciate other people's work they put into them though.

I might also add that I have never owned any other grill than a Weber. I will also never in the future own any other grill but a Weber. Even though I like to pick on the company occasionally for what they are doing, I would still never buy another brand because the bottom line is Weber still knows how to make a grill that cooks great even if they aren't building them like tanks anymore.

I might also add that I have never owned any other grill than a Weber. I will also never in the future own any other grill but a Weber. Even though I like to pick on the company occasionally for what they are doing, I would still never buy another brand because the bottom line is Weber still knows how to make a grill that cooks great even if they aren't building them like tanks anymore.
I agree with you 100% on that also

I will stop for any curb alert grill and snag any parts I deem valuable. I almost always take the LP hose and regulator. I will take knobs, grates, or anything else I think I could use on a Weber rehab. If the grill is a Weber, I will generally take the whole grill even if I don't plan to rehab it. There are enough parts on any weber grill to make it worth bringing home and parting it out and scrapping the rest.
Usually grills are some rusted out off brand that are destined for the land fill regardless if it has been cannibalized or not. So in my mind, saving a few parts before the scrapper comes by is a good thing.

Very true and I may consider another brand but being familiar with Weber and knowing what to expect and having parts already is a big +. If I got an insane deal on a very high end Grill of a different brand I'd still consider after a lot of research.

Some of the parts for these extremely high-end grills are very very expensive
Oh yeah. Like $80 per for just the knobs on that Wolf!

I will stop for any curb alert grill and snag any parts I deem valuable. I almost always take the LP hose and regulator. I will take knobs, grates, or anything else I think I could use on a Weber rehab. If the grill is a Weber, I will generally take the whole grill even if I don't plan to rehab it. There are enough parts on any weber grill to make it worth bringing home and parting it out and scrapping the rest.
Usually grills are some rusted out off brand that are destined for the land fill regardless if it has been cannibalized or not. So in my mind, saving a few parts before the scrapper comes by is a good thing.
This! I get a lot of excitement from pick up to tear down. I have also just yanked stuff off the side of the road. That was one of the best deep box drip trays I have, and the rest of it was a rusted mess. It was a 1 with the side basket, so I wonder if at some point in the grills life if it had a replacement tray.

Does anyone know of a graph that has the measurements of all the grates, burner tubes or flavor bars? If I was better with a computer I would give it a shot. I have seen the graphs of cooking space and such of the Weber Q's, Kettles etc. Wonder if there is one floating around...
Hope this helps, pdf flavor bars and grates

Attachments

Back