We won!

Sheldon Koehler

TVWBB Super Fan
I know I have not been active on any of the BBQ forums in the past couple years, but I have to share this here first.

5 years ago I joined TVWBB because I was not happy with the way my smoking was coming out. Well fast forward to this weekend and I, along with a friend, competed in our first Rib Cook Off. We won first place! I owe it mostly to what I learned here and lots and lots of practice.

ojGvEMNSl5yiRkpZNCLvI8JUo6e0BlkldxGdf8qrKD0=w1218-h913-no

Grand prize was the Big Green Egg, so I guess I have joined the Dark Side now... but I will never sell my WSM!

Most importantly, we had fun! We may do rib cook offs in the future, but probably not the more formal KCBS or PNWBA comps. Too much time and effort. I am going to get more active in judging though and Lance is taking a Judging class along with my wife next year when they offer them next. So my hats off to Chris for this forum and it's inspiration and education.

And I may or may not be more active here, life has changed since my wife's battle with cancer (1 year cancer free now!) and becoming self employed.

Last edited:
Good to hear from you again Sheldon, congrats on your win!
Very happy to hear your wife is winning her battle.

LOL! Eric, the thought has already crossed my mind. The Big Green Egg is worth 1 22.5" WSM, 26" kettle and a La Caja China #2 pig roaster, all on my Amazon wish list...

VeryCOOL Sheldon!
CONGRATULATIONS!
but really, you're wife is the REAL winner!

May you and wife have continued Success!

Hey, a BGE is a great prize, whether you keep it or not. I don't think one can have too many grills in their arsenal (as long as there's room to store them and the wife approves ;) ).

Congrats! And thanks for the kind words, Sheldon, I appreciate it!

VeryCOOL Sheldon!
CONGRATULATIONS!
but really, you're wife is the REAL winner!

May you and wife have continued Success!

I couldn't have said it better myself - and we can't fault you for receiving that nice looking prize!

I don't have a bge but I shopped them before I even knew what there was a WSM.

Sheldon;
Give your wife our best! Again, congratulations on your WIN!! That is terrific. If I won a BGE I would probably keep it in my grilling arsenal. On the other hand, I am COMPLETELY satisfied with my WSM's (and then some...).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

P.S. You can share your winning BBQ secrets with us, you really can (we won't tell, promise:rolleyes:). rdm

Sheldon;
Give your wife our best! Again, congratulations on your WIN!! That is terrific. If I won a BGE I would probably keep it in my grilling arsenal. On the other hand, I am COMPLETELY satisfied with my WSM's (and then some...).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

P.S. You can share your winning BBQ secrets with us, you really can (we won't tell, promise:rolleyes:). rdm

Over the past few years, I have experimented with variations to the BRITU rub recipe. But the sauce was home made from scratch. It was more of a glaze with a home made apple jelly base. I did not use any standard competition recipe as this was judged by amateurs and I took that into consideration. A seasoned competition pitmaster said to cook what I cook for family. So I did!

I would probably keep the BGE if I was not in need of some repairs to my work van. But as you said, I know how to cook on my Weber's and obviously the judges agree...

Back