Water Pan

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hello Friends,

I lost my water pan not sure how it happened but I can't find it. It's for an old 18" WSM.

Any suggestion on what to replace it with? I don't want to spend much and I don't use water any more. I looked into brinkmann charcoal pan which is what I had. I been using a wrapped pizza stone on the lower grate.

you could take the center section to a restaurant supply or, if you have a Cash and Carry (Smart and Final in SoCal) and find a stainless steel mixing bowl that will fit.

I had some 1/8" steel discs laser cut that I use in my 18" & 22" Cajun Bandit kettles for deflectors.

Last edited:
Isn't the water pan an upside down lid from the next smaller size grill? If so, remove the handle and turn a Smokey Joe lid upside down. You can get a SJ Silver dirt cheap.

I have a clay saucer that fits right on the lands where the water pan sits. I'll measure it and let you know what size. I got it at Home Depot for maybe $15. I foil it and use it almost exclusively when using a diffuser. The water pan hardly ever gets used anymore (but no you can't have it) :)

Isn't the water pan an upside down lid from the next smaller size grill? If so, remove the handle and turn a Smokey Joe lid upside down. You can get a SJ Silver dirt cheap.

Good idea. If I can find one I will buy it.

Pizza stone, Tony.
You won't regret!

That's what I'm using now.

I have a clay saucer that fits right on the lands where the water pan sits. I'll measure it and let you know what size. I got it at Home Depot for maybe $15. I foil it and use it almost exclusively when using a diffuser. The water pan hardly ever gets used anymore (but no you can't have it) :)

Thanks. Text it to me.

you could take the center section to a restaurant supply or, if you have a Cash and Carry (Smart and Final in SoCal) and find a stainless steel mixing bowl that will fit.

I had some 1/8" steel discs laser cut that I use in my 18" & 22" Cajun Bandit kettles for deflectors.

Thank you very much.

Brinkman charcoal pan is perfect. Actually better than the original because it is a couple inches shallower and a bit wider but still fits on the tabs. I much prefer over the OEM!

A lot of metal yards stock 1/4" metal disks of various diameters. Indestructible... & if you don't mind the weight... they work great. Fantastic heat sink/diffuser.
You can weld tabs onto them... or have a friend weld them so everything fits onto the water pan brackets.

Last edited:
A lot of metal yards stock 1/4" metal disks of various diameters. Indestructible... & if you don't mind the weight... they work great. Fantastic heat sink/diffuser.
You can weld tabs onto them... or have a friend weld them so everything fits onto the water pan brackets.

Wouldn't a solid disk allow drippings to roll down to the fire and lead to flare-ups? Or do you put a foil pan or something on top to catch them?

Back